speedline 4 bolt 1980 wheels 900ss, going to explode/burn?

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Dust2Dust

speedline 4 bolt 1980 wheels 900ss, going to explode/burn?

Post by Dust2Dust »

Hi, this is my first post, doing it for a friend who has'nt much internet experience.
He has a 1980 Ducati 900SS which has speedline magnesium? four bolt? wheels and he has been told by a local bike shop that they could shatter at any time as the process for making magnesium wheels was not perfected then and they probably are unstable.
He even was told of magnesium racing wheels, (car) bursting into flames!
He insists on getting a new set of wheels anyway, FPS or even steel rims with spokes etc.
Would'nt he need the hubs for the spoked wheels?
What other brand of wheels would he be able to fit to his bike with minimium effort?
Would he still be able to sell his old wheels, providing he mentioned the fire/explosion risk associated with them.
Are his wheels even affected? Four bolt.
Where is the best place in UK to get wheels from anyway.
I mentioned getting them x-rayed for cracks etc, but he wants new wheels,
Thanks for your help,
Heres hoping,
D2D
pjti
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Exploding wheels ??

Post by pjti »

Hi, my front campagnolo had hairline cracks at the base of all the spokes. No one could advise me , so it got junked in the end. I am no expert on these matters but have heard some tales of wheels breaking up in the early days. I think the later ones where better. I am currently considering getting a set of spoked wheels from Gowanloch in Australia. Although relatively expensive they might be worth considering if your mate wants new wheels and is not worried about it being original. I have no knowledge of any other suitable replacements being available as a direct fit , if you hear of any perhaps you would let me know .

Icidentally Mick Walkers book mentions that "Speedline wheels should be carefully checked as they are prone to failure" ,and "1981.... the much stronger FPS wheel........." , confusingly both these are 6 bolt, you said your mates was 4 bolt. if he finds FPS wheels he may need new discs which are very expensive but still available.

I would recomend he check out the gowanloch spoked wheels which come in 4 and 6 bolt configurations.

Again I am not an expert so if anyone wants to offer both of us any feedback please feel free.

Patrick
Craig in France
Paso 906

Speedlines etc

Post by Craig in France »

Hi guys

Take a look at the earlier thread, 'Speedlines fragile or not?'

Craig in UK
Ken Reece
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

FPS four bolt

Post by Ken Reece »

The fps wheels did come in four bolt, but are rare. They are out there though. I know, because I have a set. They were only made for a year or two I was told. Someone more knowledgable then I could possibly confirm the time frame, but I beleive they were all 6 bolt after late 79.
'78 - 900ss
'00 - 996s
jmuntis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jmuntis »

FPS wheels that are 6 bolt can be used in a 4 bolt application by simply drilling and tapping threads for 2 more holes. As rec'd in 6 bolt config., one pair of the holes will align properly with current holes and the 2 added ones will end up half way between another pair and have no adverse effect on the wheel in strength or appearence.
ruffle
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ruffle »

So for a newbie, how does one spot that a set of wheels are speedline or FPS?

Is 'Speedline' or FPS cast into the wheel? Do they look different? Different number of 'spokes'?

I notice some pictures of 900SS's have five 'split' spokes and some six.

Can anyone point at a definitive picture of the dreaded Speedlines?

Ta in advance.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

wheels

Post by BevHevSteve »

The mags found on ducati all have the brand cast into the web of the spoke etc, ie, FPS, SPEEDLINE, EPM etc.......
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

How to identify Speedlines at a distance

Hi Ruffle

Campagnolas have 5 solid spokes, Speedlines have 5 'split' spokes, FPS have 6 'twin spokes' (if you know what I mean) ..

HTH

Ciao

Craig in UK
ruffle
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ruffle »

Oh Poo (as Whinnie[1] would have said)

I'm interested in a '78 900SS being sold by a FOAF and
from the picture

it appears she's got the dread Speedlines :( :(

So.. a question. Is it possible to get hold of a set of hubs so one could build a pair of spoked wheels?

Even if I could get hold of such things, I guess I'd not see much change from £1,000 - that makes the asking price (around £5K) seem on the expensive side - comments?

[1] - 'The Pooh' not Churchill[/img][/url]
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

wheels

Post by BevHevSteve »

yes, I just did a spoked wheel conversion on a customers 1978 900SS which had speedlines. I got him complete ready to bolt on wheels sets with new DUCATI hubs laced to new MORAD flanged rims. Not cheap but doable and looks great. Contact me offline via email if interested.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Replacing Speedlines

Hi Ruffle

Nah, mate, that bike's a pile of pants ... you don't want to touch it with barge pole ... Now, what's yer mate's phone number? :-)

Ok, seriously ..

You can retrofit FPS wheels - it's what I did with my SSD. They come up on eBay every now and then, particularly in Germany, and I've even seen a pair for sale at Stafford. Allow £200-£300 (I paid £100, but was lucky), plus some more for re-furbishing - the early ones should be modified with a couple of dowels to lock the sprocket holder more securely. You might also have to get them re-painted - not especially cheap.

£5k for the bike isn't a gift, IMHO btw. I think you have some room for negotiation. As you probably know, probably the biggest risk you run is the condition of the big ends ...

P.s Tony Brancato offers a pre-purchase inspection service, if that helps.

P.p.s John Fallon at Mdina might be able to help with a pair of wheels. He hasn't got any listed at the moment, though .. and he isn't as inexpensive as he used to be, unfortunately.

Ciao

Craig in UK
Dust2Dust
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

spoked wheels for 900SS

Post by Dust2Dust »

Hi, my father in law has a 900SS.
He heard about the speedline wheel problems, and decided to go for spoked wheels.
He had to get some bloke in spain to source the hubs, and build the wheels, using stainless steel spokes, oh and tyres as well. :)
The price for the wheels, building, spokes, tyres and delivery to Northern Ireland came to just under £1200.00!
He said the wheels where about £800.00 and with the tyres and delivery...
Image[/img]
Sorry about the pics not showing the wheels, was more interested in getting the whole bike in frame!
If anyone would like the contact details for these wheels, pm me!
D2D
Mark

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”