78 Darmah Silentium vs Conti mufflers

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Ltbiker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

78 Darmah Silentium vs Conti mufflers

Post by Ltbiker »

My ‘78 Darmah has Conti mufflers. These are great for power but LOUD. Would Silentium mufflers be noticeably quieter?
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Re: 78 Darmah Silentium vs Conti mufflers

Post by Lumpy »

Although I have never heard Silentiums myself I believe thats the whole point of them. They are quiter and might might cost you a bit of power too. However I, and many others, have always found a bevel drive singing through a set of Coti`s to be a beautiful sound. Change your neighbours not your mufflers...........
Ltbiker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Ltbiker »

Unfortunately, even though I pulled the Darmah out of the garage and down to the street and started up after closing the garage door the wife complained she was awakened by the noise. Our bedroom is on the opposite side of the house! Have not decided to make a change just yet.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

I have to agree with you. Contis are simply too loud for street use. Had them on my MHR and quickly grew to hate them.

To the best of my knowledge, they were never homologated in Italy. And they were never fitted as standard to Darmahs, being sold - strictly speaking - as part of the 'Tuning Kit' that included different cams, 40mm carbs and bigger valves.

The problem is, what else to use?

The Silentiums are quiet, but they are heavy and they definitely rob power. Also, I suspect you will find them hard to find. They rot out like pears ...
The Lafranconis are quieter than Contis, are less power zapping than the Silentiums, but aren't very pretty with the seams on the top and bottom. And again, where to find?

It's a bit of a problem ...

Armours in the UK make Conti replicas which look nice, but you'd have to ask them how loud they are. Ditto a stainless pair from Keihan. And there's an outfit called the Classic Bike Shop selling some chrome plated ones ...

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”