SSD having trouble getting into neutral while engine running

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

SSD having trouble getting into neutral while engine running

Post by bradp51 »

Gents,
I have an early SSD and have just got it back on the road after cleaning up a few pieces. All cosmetic. I cannot for the life of me get the bike into neutral when at a set of traffic lights. Have to sit there idling with the clutch pulled in. I do not ride much in traffic but I just hate wearing the clutch like that. No problems getting it into neutral when stopped engine off and using my hand to feel it but with boots on and my left foot really hard.

Another bevel rider told me he had the same problem with his bike and told me to try 15-40W Synthetic oil. He said it fixed it for him. Any thoughts or advice.

Thank you
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: SSD having trouble getting into neutral while engine running

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Brad,

Yeah, they can be a little difficult - me too, SSD owner.

The oil change is a good 'first idea'. You should be running a synthetic 10-50 anyways - or at least that's what Ducati told you to do :-D (ref. last page of the owner's handbook).

The only problem you may encounter is a little clutch slip, if the bike's been previously running on mineral oil. Doesn't always happen, but can do. Try it and see. If it does start slipping, it's off with cover, take the clutch apart, clean up the plates and reassemble.

The other contributory factor might be a weakening of one/other/both of the two return springs - see the scan of the parts book below. The return spring of the gear lever itself (A) is a well-known weak point - had them fail on both my MHR and my SSD. The photo shows how knackered they can become. Eventually, the spring snaps.

The other one is the return spring for the detent mechanism (B). Just done this one ... ;)

But you're not there yet :-D . Do the oil change first ...

Parts from parts book.jpg
Gear lever return springs, old on top.jpg
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Another thing You can do, while the clutchcover is off to check Craig's points, is see how the clutch pressure plate lifts.
Sometimes some of the springs don't have the same force (anymore) and tilts the pressureplate, still engaging on one side creating drag and making it difficult (or impossible) to find neutral.
Shifting around the spings can usually cure this, otherwise put a shim in the right place.
Also take out all rods and balls of the clutch actuating and grease. Check order to put them back in.
I've learned since the 80's to put my bike in neutral before coming to a complete stop, 'cause even now all Duc's don't shift Always perfect.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bradp51 »

Hello Craig and Ducadini,
Thank you for the quick reply to my question and all the detailed informations including pictures and diagrams. Very helpful for me. I will do the oil change first and see how that goes.

I will post up a result once I have done the change.

Regards
Brad

PS Craig by coincidence I live on a road which is called Montpelier and I see that is where you live in France.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”