79 SSD

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
agenders
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

79 SSD

Post by agenders »

Hi all,
I am in the final stages of getting my bike back on the road after 3 long years of frustration at rectifying many disappointing unqualified meddlers. I am just trying to establish what the correct air gap is on the ignition trigger coils of my SSD. I do have access to the original Bosch tool but the owner thinks that all he used to do was let the coil legs go into the recesses of the tool and then tighten the coils up then removing the tool. The Ducati manual seems to suggest that there should be a 0.05mm to 0.1mm gap between tool and coil leg. Another Ducati manual states 0.04mm to 0.05mm. Can anyone clarify this mess? >:|!!!
Would love to hear from someone who has done this exercise
Maybe someone from the US also may recognize this bike. It has "Moto Guy" written on the fairing sides
Cheers,
Andrew
Attachments
051.jpg
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: 79 SSD

Post by BevHevSteve »

Ex Guy Webster bike, lived in Ventura after that owned by a meticulous builder who sold it maybe in 2001 or 2002? I had lost track of it after Brett sold it on. Motor was completely rebuilt in 2000 if I remember correctly. At 1 time this was a spectacular bike cosmetically and mechanically.

Yes the factory manuals say .05 - .10mm air gap and this is required. Do also know that on the factory tool you can rotate the center jig around so if that is out of whack then you are screwed even with a correct air gap. This can be set straight using a timing light and dialing things in.

Below: My NCR Replica with Brett's SSD behind it.

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: 79 SSD

Post by Peter Mille »

The black seat looks better...

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”