Right hand casing getting hot

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Paul Croft
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Right hand casing getting hot

Post by Paul Croft »

Hi all, just taken the Darmah for its first run out, after an almost complete rebuild, (not bottom end) It seems to be running fine, but when I started it up, I noticed that the right hand casing got hot after a few minites, when the rest of the engine was just warm. (I had to put a new oil pump on it, as the old one was falling apart). When I returned from ride out engine was evenly hot, should I be concerned?
Thanks, Paul.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Right hand casing getting hot

Post by wdietz186 »

There isn't anything in the cover other than the alternator stator. It could get warm if the charging system is working really hard, you might want to check the output voltage. It shouldn't be more than about 14.5 volts. If it is much higher the Reg./rectifier could be bad. My suspicion is the horizontal exhaust pipe warmed the cover if it was running on the stand for any length of time. That, along with new/rebuilt engine paranoia my have made you notice the cover being warmer than the rest of the engine.
Paul Croft
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Paul Croft »

Cheers wdietz, yes I guess I am being cautious, too much money spent already! I suppose the down pipe theory could be a possible cause, think the charge side is fine, I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks again for your thoughts, Paul.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

but do also know that heat indicates too lean, so if the PIPE is causing the cover to heat up, perhaps you need to verify that the cylinder is running correctly and both carbs are sync'd correctly as well.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Paul Croft
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Paul Croft »

Cheers Steve. I think my real concern was that I fitted a high volume oil pump which is obviously behind that casing and the bevel gears. When I first bolted it down it went tight, it seemed like the impellor was not flush with the housing and was pushing on the gasket/engine casing. I relieved the pressure with another gasket which made it much better but there was still a little resistance which I thought would be fine once bedded into the new gasket as the old one looked 'stretched'. Is this a common issue, or have I been sold a dodgy pump?
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

You can check the Original oilpump for binding when it's removed from the cases, there are still some screws to hold it together.
Even then, when fitting it, the only interference should be with the driving gear from the crank and the free play between the teeth can be easily checked.
Nothing else is pushing against the housing of the pump.
However, if the pump has been dismantled and some dirt has come behind the gears, this could cause the gear to push against the rear plate and, when fitting it in the cases, cause it to bind. But this can only be checked with the outer gear removed OR when dismantling the whole bevel-plate and the driving gear on the crank.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Paul Croft
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Paul Croft »

Thanks for your input ducadini, it is much appreciated.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”