oil leak from vertical bevel tube base

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
riccorman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

oil leak from vertical bevel tube base

Post by riccorman »

Hello, It appears that I have an oil leak from the bevel tube base of the vertical cylinder on my 78 Darmah. It looks to be coming directly from the space between the base and the bevel tube itself. Is there a trick way to replace the O-ring without lowering the motor and removing heads etc.? Thanks in advance for any/all replies.
-ric
-----------------
1978 Ducati 900 SD Darmah
2001 Ducati ST2
2006 Ducati GT1000
2008 Ducati 1098
2015 Ducati Diavel Titanium #196/500
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: oil leak from vertical bevel tube base

Post by wdietz186 »

In a word,NOPE! But you can try turning the tube back and forth and push it up or down in the holder. I've stopped a few leaks that way. It seems the o ring develops a flat spot and/or a particle of crud disturbs the seal allowing seepage. I used a pair of pliers that are for removing hoses [needle nosed pliers that have a large ring formed at the end] that are thin and go partially around the tube to grip it. I used a strip of thin leather to protect the finish on the tube.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: oil leak from vertical bevel tube base

Post by Craig in France »

Agree with Bill. As far as I know, Ric (and, as always, I stand to be corrected ...), the simple answer is no.

It's not uncommon for there to be leak here, especially as these things get older :( . O-rings don't last forever, you see. Happens on the singles too.

However ...
It's worth trying a simple 'fix' of a wipe of clear RTV silicone. This I learnt from John Wittmann, a British racer and engine builder who knew more than I ever will about Ducatis.

HTH

Craig

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”