Piston ring placement

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Paul Croft
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Piston ring placement

Post by Paul Croft »

Hi all, can anyone advise me on the ring gap positions, for both pots, (not sure of engine rotation).
Thanks, Paul
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Piston ring placement

Post by wdietz186 »

Basically you want the ring gaps around 120 . deg. apart if you have a one piece oil ring. You do want to avoid having a ring gap on a thrust face. With a three piece oil ring you can set the three piece gaps/abutment around 120 from each other and the top two 180 deg. apart, again avoiding a gap on a thrust face. The rings do turn in the bores in use so if you take it apart, the rings won't be in the same positions you assembled them. The idea is to avoid the gaps lining up and allowing oil/compression to pass.
Paul Croft
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Paul Croft »

Cheers again wdietz, the reason I mentioned engine rotation, was so I could determine the thrust side. I will put it in gear and see what way the sprocket turns!
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

V bevels turn clockwise (seen from the left side) so the trustside is the downside of the front pot and the frontside of the vertical one.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Paul Croft
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Paul Croft »

Cheers Ducadini.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”