Starter motor

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
900tlc
Mariana

Starter motor

Post by 900tlc »

Occasionally ,if I use my starter motor it spins freely and does not turn the motor over, but on the next push of the button it will turn the motor. My bike is a 900 GTS with a Bosch bottom end, same as the Darmah. Could be some thing simple, or more involved.
Any input or experience of this , would be very grateful.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Starter motor

Post by BevHevSteve »

time to replace the starter sprag - do so before it comes apart and possibly does serious damage to your motor.

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Engine-Re ... g-Bearing/

In stock of course...........
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

BevHevSteve wrote: ...do so before it comes apart ...
+1 8) .
900tlc
Mariana

Post by 900tlc »

Thank you gentlemen, for the prompt input. Most frustrating really, probably happened when I had carburation problems, and there was a large back fire from a cold start.The starter motor was hardly used, and the bearing had done less than a 1,000 miles!
I remember reading somewhere, about back firing and sprag bearings not taking too kindly to it.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

900tlc wrote: I remember reading somewhere about back-firing and sprag bearings not taking too kindly to it.
Wrecks 'em. They're a one-direction bearing after all. But that said, I'd be surprised if a single back-fire had destroyed it ...

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”