broken kick lever

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
ozbug
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

broken kick lever

Post by ozbug »

Hi,
Newbie to bevels, bought a 79 900ss 2 months ago, after looking for a few years ( sniped on ebay twice with 4 seconds to go ) have done a couple thousand k's already and enjoying it greatly.
Was given the rundown on how to start them by previous owner and a mechanic and all has been ok except for last couple of weeks it has been kicking back about 40% of the time I try to start it. Yesterday started first go in the morning, came home for an hour then went to start again and the kickback was so violent that the lever snapped off after hitting the engine case and flew 20 meters through my unit complex garage.
Can any one explain why this happens and how to avoid it ( i'm no mechanic ) my start up procedure is always the same, fuel on, depress carby tickler until fuel comes out, one twist of the throttle, pump lever until compression and is about at 10 0'clock and then give it an almighty boot. Has worked up until now?
Thanks for your help.
ozbug
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: broken kick lever

Post by ozbug »

Further to my earlier post,
How do you remove the lever, have taken out hex bolt, it obviously doesn't just slide off?
Cheers
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Oh but it does - once bolt is removed you may need to jam a screw driver into the slot to widen things up a bit, spray some lubricant in there too.

(We have a kickstart lever available if you have not found 1 yet)
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

If yours is anything like my early '79 with 40 mm carbs they will kick back when they're hot. In fact, I pretty much have to hold the throttle wide open to get mine to go after I've turned it off for a few minutes. Makes refueling a nuisance.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”