Clunk and clunk

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
darmahtc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Clunk and clunk

Post by darmahtc »

I got my 1978 Darmah running after a long rest (years with a previous owner). Every thing is going well except for a couple of clunks. I get a clunk in the drive line when pulling away from stops. Not every time. I saw a posting here about the actuating rod for the clutch getting gummed up. I pulled out the parts and noticed it was gummy and one small rod was missing. I double checked that I hadn't dropped it. I made another spacer and lubed everything. It may be a little better, but I'm not sure. That's clunk one. Clunk two feels like steering head bearings. Clunks over bumps or the front compressing fast. I did the usual steering head bear adjust, but still there. Do I need new ones? Am I missing some other potential problem? Thanks.......Tom
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Clunk and clunk

Post by BevHevSteve »

most likely the fork springs as supplyed the OD was too small. I have seen several bikes with a long tube over the spring which seemed to make things wors as the springs sagged [wore out] over time. replace them with a dual rate fork spring kit and be done with it.

http://store.bevelheaven.com/chassis-su ... i-ceriani/
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Re The fork springs Steve recommends,It is not just a sales pitch,They really make a huge difference.The only downside is you will immediately want/need the new Works shocks to match.
darmahtc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by darmahtc »

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if the drive line clunk may be the cush drive? It sure seems like it's coming from the clutch when I'm on the bike, but after reading more I'm begining to think it could be the cush drive and or bolts. Any ideas? .......Tom
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

if you think it is the cush bults it only takes about 10 mins to take the rear wheel off......

or check that the countershaft sprocket still has the locknut installed , of a little longer to see if the clutch basket nut is tight etc...
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Tom,
If you're looking at the cush drive, pull the bolts out and check to make sure the holes haven't elongated. It is a common problem !

No 2, If you put the bike on the centrestand, weight the rear to lift the front wheel and rotate the steering side to side, does it feel notchy ??

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”