Seat length and Imola fuel tank

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Seat length and Imola fuel tank

Post by bradp51 »

Is anyone able to tell me if I can fit a dual seat from a 81 900SS to a bike fitted with an Imola fuel tank.

Is there much of a difference in length of the tanks ? Can the dual seat just be modified to fit ? Has anyone any experience with doing this ?

thanks for any help

cheers
welshmally
Diana

Re: Seat length and Imola fuel tank

Post by welshmally »

Not sure how helpful this is, but I had a mate with an SS many years ago, who had an Imola style tank fitted (not sure if it was the genuine article) and he managed to fit the standard dual seat.

Have you scanned the website gallery to see if it's been done by anybody else?

HTH

WM
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bradp51 »

Thank you for the reply. Having a look at pics of the bikes with the either tank fitted it seems they are pretty close in length.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

An imola tank is a couple inches longer than the SS tanks...... I know that you have to trim the front off a solo SS seat to fit one so I can't imagine a dual seat being any different and therefore needing to be trimmed as well. I converted a 1980 900 SS with an Imola tank and had to cut the seat for it to fit.

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bradp51 »

BevHevSteve wrote:imola tank is a couple inches longer than the SS tanks...... I know that you have to trim the front off a solo SS seat to fit one so I can;t imaging a dual seat being any different.

Thanks steve
I am looking at photos and it seems that both tanks seem to end in line with the big phillips head screw holding on the sidecover below. I was using that as a mark. it is hard from photos though..

thanks for the help
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bradp51 »

BevHevSteve wrote:An imola tank is a couple inches longer than the SS tanks...... I know that you have to trim the front off a solo SS seat to fit one so I can't imagine a dual seat being any different and therefore needing to be trimmed as well. I converted a 1980 900 SS with an Imola tank and had to cut the seat for it to fit.

Thank you for the photo. I can see that the Imola tank is longer. BTW is it a fibreglass tank ? I saw a conversion recently and the tank cap was flush and hard to turn to get off. Yours looks more like the standard tank cap.

Can you fit the std filler cap to an aftermarket fibreglass Imola tank ?

cheers
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bradp51 »

BevHevSteve wrote:An imola tank is a couple inches longer than the SS tanks...... I know that you have to trim the front off a solo SS seat to fit one so I can't imagine a dual seat being any different and therefore needing to be trimmed as well. I converted a 1980 900 SS with an Imola tank and had to cut the seat for it to fit.

BTW that is one nice looking machine. Congrats.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

This is a F'Glass tank with a standard cap. Soon I am going to swap it out for an Evan Wilcox aluminum tank so I can ride it agan............
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bradp51 »

Steve
Why can't you ride it with the fiberglass tank ?
Is it a local law in the US ?

Do you have a link to the aluminum tank supplier ?

Cheers
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

google Evan Wilcox

glass tanks are melting with the high ethanol % in gas now....... Pretty standard around the globe.
I am stocking evan's tanks. early wide frame [z stripe] SPORT as well as the standard SPORT tanks, also IMOLA tanks but just sold the last one I have in stock, more in a couple months. He has a 6+ month wait list.
bradp51
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bradp51 »

Hi Steve,
I had a look on google for the supplier and found him. I assume he does a standard tank too.

thanks for the tip

cheers
Brad

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”