First Time Ducati Owner /Kara / Hello

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
Tinkerbell
Mariana

First Time Ducati Owner /Kara / Hello

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Everybody,
Hello my name is Kara Elizabeth Chaffee. I live in Vancouver WA. (USA) just across the river from Portland , OR. I just bought my first time ever Ducati. 860GT , red, 1975, kick start only. Rode it home last weekend. The bike is in remarkable condition overall with 15000 miles. I am a semi retired electrical engineer and have tinkered with machinery my entire life. Had a Norton Commando thirty plus years ago and had not owned a bike since. Two years ago I bought a 1975 MKIII Commando. Spent two years getting it in good working order and even learned how to beat Amals into a relative state of submission.
The opportunity to get a very nice 860 came up and I could not say no. Back when I had more money, I had a history with Italian cars...I even manufactured cam follower rollers and pins for single cam V12 Ferraris, but that is another story...The bike seems very sound overall and needs some renewal here and there. I fell in love with the sound of the 750SS in 1982 , but those are not destined for mortals in any case. Also, I needed a left hand shift with the same pattern as my Norton. I don't ride enough to survive two opposite shift regimes in a pinch! So the only way to solve this Venn diagram was the 860.
The side covers are hideous. But I don't hate the tank. I have two-tons of Haas CNC vertical machining center in my garage. I do not see why some very nice side covers could not be fabricated for my 860 . I will get my people on this as soon as practicable.
So in any case , I spent today tearing down the PHF32s. Among other things , I needed to put the stock jets back in to match up with the original mufflers. The Conti knockoffs that were on the bike were taking my head off. So, the adventure begins!
I will start peppering you all with questions as soon as I post this bit of background.
Thank you all,
Kara
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: First Time Ducati Owner /Kara / Hello

Post by BevHevSteve »

Welcome aboard, Kara. Sounds like you have a good plan of attack and are well prepared to get going. Awesome. I have all the stuff you will need for the carb & brake rebuild etc etc. Please have a look at my website and most importantly, have fun.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Kara: If you were/are a Commando pilot you must know the fellow behind "The mighty garage", down in Portland, one of my favourite YouTube sites. I had a 74 850 Commando for a while and much longer ago, a 75 860GT. I bought the old Ducati in 81 while I was at university and modded it quite a lot to my liking; I did not like the tank (or the side panels)! I find the old Haynes manual pretty useful for the 860GT and even my 81 MHR. You sound highly competent but if there is anything I can help you with, just ask.
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi mhr
Thanks for your offer of tech help! You are referring to Mike Tyler of the norton club...yes I know him and dave is in the club ..he sold me the 860. I am working up some machines aluminum side covers for the 860...I thought I would hate the tank but it was redone in solid red and is fine. However even jesus will not forgive the side covers.
Cheers
Kara
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

I want Mr Tyler to adopt me; the only way I may ever get my hands on a Vinnie!
ashleyf
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ashleyf »

G'day Kara . Have fun with the 860 . Just reacquainting myself with my 76 900. After 20 years not riding , it is a little intimidating out on the roads . Still , the red mist does descend often enough to remind me to look for cops. Conti's on overrun. Can't beat that sound...
1976 900 SS. Sydney OZ.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”