Newbie with 1973 Ducati 750 GT project

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
exbritmorgan3
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Newbie with 1973 Ducati 750 GT project

Post by exbritmorgan3 »

Hello from Fairfax , California. If there is any benefit to being asked to Shelter in Place it has to be that it makes you take a good look at all the projects you have planned over the years to see if you really, really will get to them.
One of the biggest is a 1973 750 GT that has been sitting for at least 20 years. It's a bike with a weird history..found in Mexico (looks like it was kept in the desert) then repatriated to the US in 2013. Whoever had it in Mexico had ridden it hard.It was treated it just a weird old bike. It has tires worn down to the belts, missing and crispy wiring, dented and welded Borrani wheels and a few other (non essential..side panel, instruments) missing parts. I saved it from being potentially being broken up for parts about 6 years ago with the plan to restore it within the next few years.
After digging it out and finding that the engine doesn't turn over I have been regularly adding diesel and other recommended solvent/lubes into the cylinder bores to help break it loose. But here's the thing... I have had experience with Brit Bike engines or German Airheads and even most of a 911 but never something as complex (or as beautiful) as the Ducati twin. I am now seeking some recommendations as to where to pack the engine off to ..to be rebuilt or advice as to whether or not disassembly and reassembly is something to be contemplated by mere mortals. I have the Falloon books and have done other research and at the very least the instructions for shimming does give me pause for thought.
Anyway..I know this is an open ended and broad question to ask..but I thought I would ask it.
Looking forward to some advice.
Cheers,
Julien
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Newbie with 1973 Ducati 750 GT project

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Julien and welcome to the Forum,

An interesting challenge :) .

Frankly, IMO, given where you are in the world, you cannot do better than to ask advice from Steve Allen, the owner of this Forum. With his experience and knowledge of all the people he has dealt with over the years, I feel he will be able to counsel you best.

HTH and have fun!

Craig
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Cheers Julien and thanks Craig. Please give me a call to discuss, you are in luck we have a VERY good bevel drive engine rebuilder local even.... Factory trained, decades of experience.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
exbritmorgan3
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by exbritmorgan3 »

Thank you for the feedback. My next contact will be to Steve to get some advice and second will be to contact E-Bay to see if they are still allowing organs to be listed for sale on the site. I have a feeling this will be an expensive adventure!
Looking forward to becoming more involved in the forum.
Cheers,
Julien

Return to “Introduce Yourself”