Intro

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
ajs18s
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Intro

Post by ajs18s »

Hi all, my current bike is not a Ducati but a BMW, 2004 R1150gsa. Love it and will never part with it.
However the reason I am here is that in the next 12 months I hope to be riding a Ducati. I have a love for MHR and 900 Darmah's .
So this is a learning experience for me as I have no experience with these bikes. So forgive me if I ask stupid questions.
Living in sunny Brisbane, Queensland.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Intro

Post by BevHevSteve »

Welcome aboard
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Welcome ajs18s: I think there are probably more MHRs in Oz than any other country so you are probably in the right place to go hunting. I know that that a few recent MHRs down under have been brought in from Japan. I have an 81 that I'm currently rebuilding and hope to have on the road next month. This is a great forum to ask questions and get specific technical help. There are also a number of Facebook forums dedicated to MHRs and Bevel 900 bikes. Good luck!

Rick
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

*lots* of MHR in Japan that's for sure. Especially the Mille' version.
ajs18s
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ajs18s »

Well my first two questions then, a Mille version?
And buying one that was a Japan delivered compared to an Australian delivered one. Is there a difference?.

Please if I need to ask questions elsewhere let me know.
Cheers all.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Mille simply means 1000cc version vs the 900cc version
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

ajs18s: Google is your friend! I'd suggest that you gorge on pictures first then read-up. Very briefly, the first MHRs were out in 79, limited editions; prized and very expensive. I believe the rarest were made with fibreglass tanks but this was illegal in the UK so the UK ones had fibreglass or plastic? covers over steel tanks. The fairings were one piece so a PITA to work with for oil changes and the seat was odd looking; lots of 79's and 80's were fitted with 2 piece fairings by their owners. 80's were similar to 79's. 81's had two piece fairings; mine is an early 81 with Brembo Goldline calipers, black lower fork legs, stainless chain guard and a better seat configuration. Later 81's show cost cutting measures; regular black Brembos, black painted steel chain guard (red in 83! yuk - it just looks wrong) and side panels added (why??? makes it look less than Mike's Steve Wynne NCR bike). Subtle changes were made over the next two years then in 84 the engine was modified to 1000cc, the "Mille". I think 86 was the last year. Personally, the later ones don't look as good; more chunky look, weird frame loop around the footpegs (triangulation rules), odd fairing painting but electric start which some people like.

My understanding regarding the Japanese bikes is that MHRs were being bought-up in bulk from Europe and often the fairings were separate from the bikes so when reassembled in Japan, there are some oddities. If you don't care about concourse condition it's no biggie. Watch out for fakes; the MHR's were tarted-up 900SS models; just different tank/seat/fairing but otherwise 900SS. Lots of pretend MHRs based on GT860s or damaged 900SSs. If you just like the look, again, who cares. An old GT860 with a one piece NCR tank seat, clip-ons and rear-sets looks great. To each his or her own.

The "list" is also your friend for checking numbers and authenticity: http://www.bevelheaven.com/data-squarecase.htm
ajs18s
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ajs18s »

Hey thanks for that 81mhr900ss, I appreciate the advice, info very much. There seams to be a big influx of imports from Japan into Australia and makes me think before even test ridding. So is it that these Ducati's where manufactured for the market in Japan or did bike riders import bikes manufactured for Europe into Japan, I see SOME speedometers on bikes from Japan with and with out Japan writing, numbers or symbols.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

I don't know the answer. It was my impression that the MHRs and 900ss models were simply very popular in Japan so used European ones were finding their way to Japan. My UK model has a metric speedo; I don't think there were special destination specs for the bikes other than perhaps changes made to the exhaust silencers from Contis to Silentium. Each country has its own homologation rules; sadly for some bikes this means ugly metal plates riveted to the motors or the frame.

Australia must be one of the best places to go hunting as there are so many great resources there for old bevel Ducatis.
Speedrocker
Mariana

Post by Speedrocker »

In the 80`s and 90`s, the Japanese bought a bunch of motorbikes that have a " rank & name", meant: Any bike that was rare, special and high-prized at first release,..like Bimota´s, Egli, MV, and of course, all early Ducati supersports, hailwood rep.,....and from time to time, one of those collected bikes find the way back...,or to other countries...!
per example, My`mid ´81 900 MHR is also re-imported from Japan,...it was an MHR, that was first delivered in Germany,...than, years later someone sold it to japan....,...and now, it´s back here in germany, and mine :-D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”