Hailwood replica in northern germany...

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
Speedrocker
Mariana

Hailwood replica in northern germany...

Post by Speedrocker »

Hi Folks,
..good reason to say hello to all you Duc-heads..
They called me Joe, i marked the roads here in northern germany with a lot of motorbikes since the late 70`s,...few years have passed by ,since i´ll had my last desmo 900 S2,...now again owner of a fine `81 MHR 900 with only 20K´s on the clock,..do now a little mild resto-job, without disturbing the character of the bike,..let the little marks and scare´s be, just little damages will be repaired of course, and some little rust will take away be cleaning or renew some parts,..we all have those littles signs of time on and in us ;-)
Let us keep the spirit of those fine italian-desmo bikes further..!

Greetings,
Joe
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Re: Hailwood replica in northern germany...

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Joe: It's good to see another MHR owner on the forum. My 81 MHR is in bits and pieces in my home now; same as you, a mild "restoration" warts and all (not that there are many), also only around 20k km on the bike. I've just been cleaning rocker covers! Tomorrow my Keihan stainless exhaust should arrive plus a few other bits and pieces. Good luck with your project.

Rick
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Welcome aboard, Joe
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Speedrocker
Mariana

Post by Speedrocker »

@ Rick:
thank you, good luck with your´s too !!

yeah, those ol``81 MHR´s are really not so often,..sure, not so rare as first series `79,.. but hard to find enough ;-
sounds cool about your bike,..and ist´s interesting, that your `81 has also only 20 K´s on the clock..! BTW: My engine ist still sealed with original plomb!
I´ve just spend this ol lady`a new pair of rubbers, ( BT 45), some misc. rubber-parts too, like Bat.-strap, fuellines, carb-gaskets,..and redone some tiny electric problems with the dash lights...bike will need a pair of Conti-silencers, cause the old ones are a little welded on the left side,..and Gas-Tank will need a new paint job....( it´s rustet around the filler neck)

@Steve.
thanx for the welcome!
Nice site you have here, with a hole bunch of pretty fine informations, i really appreciate it !

Greetings,
Joe
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hey Joe: My shopping list is similar; carb and brake seal kits, a missing rear brake return spring, battery strap! I received a full Keihan exhaust system today; my old headers looked pretty bad, especially the right side and I'm upgrading the suspension; a pair of Ohlin DU140 rear shocks arrived on Christmas eve and I'm probably going to go with a Racetech Gold Valve/spring front end modification. My tank also needs a little inside work; mild de-rusting and maybe a liner.

Here's a pic taken this summer; the bike hasn't been ridden since early 1990!
https://i.imgur.com/26LuJww.jpg

I look forward to seeing pics of yours.

Happy New Year,

Rick
Speedrocker
Mariana

Post by Speedrocker »

Hi Rick,
your bike looks pretty fine for me, have lots of good modifications, like custom tower-tubes, main currant oil system, gazer for oilm oil cooler...seems like, your MHR is few month older than mine, yours have still the gold calippers and the seat without a "rim" for side panels,...mine is from september `81, with the following black calippers and the little "rim" around the lower seat...
Nice Car and home also, congrats!
Have a healthy and fine new year !!
Greets,
Joe
Duc v.l. - Kopie.JPG
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Joe: On the 1st of April 1981, the UK increased the cost of registering a new vehicle by a significant amount so there are a whole bunch of "W" registered vehicles including a bunch of MHRs. Mine would have been made in late 80 and was registered in March of 81, sadly the month Mike Hailwood was killed in a car crash. In the UK, the license plate stays with the vehicle from initial registration. There is a "family" of "UNM xxxW" MHRs out there.

You have sharp eyes! Mine has the black lower front fork legs, stainless chain guard, Goldline Brembos and no provision for side panels. I have a weird fairing; I think the original may have been a very late one piece; mine is two piece but made from the mold of a one piece; doesn't have the holes at the bottom for the pipes and the top/bottom split is in a different place to the factory two piece fairings of 81/82. My guess is that the original was damaged or the previous owner got fed up of removing the thing for oil changes. I've seen several other similar aged, UK-based, MHRs with the same fairing as mine.

That old car was my neighbour's as is that house; my home is to the left of the bike in the picture but similar.

I'm sure you are enjoying playing with your old bike as much as I am.

Rick
Speedrocker
Mariana

Post by Speedrocker »

Hi Rick,

"...I'm sure you are enjoying playing with your old bike as much as I am...." -*!^-

you can bet !!! :-D :-D :-D

yes, i love that bike a lot,...sure, with the old fairings is it miracle,..i had need a windscreen,..some dealers here offers "drilled, ready to bold on" screens, i´ve bought one,..but doesnt fit! So I had considered for an un-drilled one,..to drill it by my self,...it seems, that a.): my upper fairing is an aftermarket item, or b.),..by Ducati, the have drilled all fairings + screens individually ? ;) ..anyway, i will fit it right next time..!

I´ve just fixed the idiot-lights today,...( had them apart, all bulbs passed away by vibrations,...and renew them with LED´s,...,) see my other post in the electric-shop)

Nice toys we have, new bike brung always a lot of fun...

Joe
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Joe: I also need a windscreen. These are the folks I have been working with: https://bikescreen.com/products/ducati-h-rep-1981-1984

I measured my upper fairing and took a bunch of pictures and sent them to Bikescreen a few days ago. Their website used to show a Mk I and a Mk II Hailwood fairing. They suggested that I take exact dimensions and they will work it out; the screen comes with a special drill bit and fitting instructions; no doubt because of others with the same issue as you. I'm expecting to hear back from them at any time.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Some pics for fun:

Speedrocker
Mariana

Post by Speedrocker »

Hi Rick,
nice departed bike!...and a clean workbench and parts too....looks like, it would be an wonderfull racer!
Yeah, seems your ordered screen is ok,...but here in G. you can buy it for about 70,- Euro...( without a drill bit..)
I´ve send in the screen for template, but bitter experience was, they`ve been unable to drill the correct pattern.. :( ,
So, i´ve bought an un-drilled..

Rick, your X-mas gift to yourself was a pair of silencers,...mine was a NCR-Alu-tank,(replica), and a NCR-style race seat,similar to the original MHR seat.
So, i will have an nice option to change it quickly, if i am in the mood for another look.. The tank was offered at ebay, and i was the lucky guy who had made the right offer :-D Tank is already here, seat comes from italy, is still in production expected arrival is mid january...

Greetings,
Joe

Return to “Introduce Yourself”