New member, new bike (to me), couple of questions.

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
ColinB
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

New member, new bike (to me), couple of questions.

Post by ColinB »

Hello,

Happy to say that I am the new owner of a 1978 900ss. It has not been on the road since '95, though the previous owner has looked after it well.

I have a couple of initial questions as I set about getting it back into use. They have no doubt been covered before, so appologies for that.

Firstly it still has speedline wheels. I have read about their problems and would like to know the best course of action. ie keep them (they have survived for 30 years and are in good condition), have them ndt tested, or just get rid of them?

Secondly which oil to use. I know the reccommendation is SAE 50 monograde but that was also 30 years ago, and oil has moved on since then. What is the latest thinking for a bike that would do a fairly low mileage each year?

I am certainly looking forward to getting it out and about. Was going to post a picture of the bike but it looks to be beyong my internet abilities.

Colin
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Welcome Collin,
I wouldn't trust those Speedlines at all, they can break without warning, even after 30 years!!

As for the oil, why not get in contact with www.castrol.co.uk
Castrol has a very good Classic Oil line up!!
ColinB
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ColinB »

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to find some FPS wheels but it looks as though they may be both elusive and expensive.

Had a look at the castrol website thanks.

Regards,

Colin

Return to “Introduce Yourself”