New member from Chicago

Please say HELLO and tell us about yourself, your bike[s] and where you are located etc...
73750sport
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

New member from Chicago

Post by 73750sport »

Hi,

I have owned bikes in the past but nothing quite as exciting as a Ducati Sport. I recently bought this bike from a friend who owned it for 33 years. He bought the bike with 200 miles on it sitting on a Kawasaki Showroom. It is a 73 Sport with the fiberglass tank and is in entirely original condition w/ just 6500 documented miles and service records.

I plan to do a light restoration and am in the process of locating necessary parts and information. One of the curious things abut the bike is the fairing. The bike had it new but it doesn't look like the super sport fairings that came right after the 73. It has all the fittings that make it obvious it is from the factory but I am perplexed as to the design and if this was only for 73's. The molding was on it as well.

Aside from that, the bike still has the original front tire and a rear from 76 so I better remedy that shortly. If anyone has suggestions on parts sources other than Steve ;) I am collecting information now.

Wes Shepherd
73 Ducati 750 Sport Owner
74-750SS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 74-750SS »

Hello and welcome. Even though the temptation is there to restore it is always great to see a bike in original condition with original patina. I can't comment on the fairing issues but nice bike and compliments
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Welcome to the forum! Wish I were closer, would love to check out your bike up close. Let me say it would be a shame to touch the bike or restore it in any way. The only thing I would do is find a nice pair or original passenger foot pegs to replace the incorrect ones. Would hate to see you destroy the value of your machine by refinishing it in any way. Let me drive it home...have you ever seen the Antiques Roadshow where people find out that their otherwise 40k piece of furniture is now worth only 20k because they had it refinished. Same idea, DON'T TOUCH HER! That being said, Steve as well as others have OEM NOS parts that you can use to replace worn items. Will be happy to give you some recommendations if you e-mail me direct [email protected] Jordan
73750sport
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

how to restore a fiberglass tank

Post by 73750sport »

Thanks for the input. I do plan to ride it so I really don't want to mess with it much. But the glass parts need some work especially the tank. I do have a serious need to fix the glass tank back to original. It was leaking and the owner tried some sealant inside of it which didn't work and this has to be removed. the leaks seem to be coming from the petcock bases that are fixed into the glass. I am really afraid to give it to just anyone since the cosmetic appearance, even on the underside need to be kept original. Any suggestions. I can be reached at [email protected]
Wes Shepherd
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Wes, I sent you some info to your e-mail, let me know if you don't get it and I can resend. Was thinking since you plan to ride the bike, you might consider replacing all the body work with with new fiberglass and fresh paint and decals. You could keep the originals on the shelf for shows since it can all be swapped out easily in a couple hours. Jordan[/i]
73750sport
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

gas tank

Post by 73750sport »

I have a brand new painted steel tank on it now and plan to use that for riding. But, even for shows, the glass tank has to get repaired. I think you are making a great suggestion since I really don't like the idea of running too much unleaded fuel (even with additives) into the tank and letting it sit very long. I haven't received the email you sent yet.
Wes Shepherd

Return to “Introduce Yourself”