70's MV Agusta 750

Let the blabber fest begin... This area is for all topics that don't fit into one of the forum catagories & not specifically related to Ducati or even moto related for that matter. Talk away - but keep it clean and "work safe" people. Any offensive posts will be deleted at the descretion of the admins.
tobaccoblender
Diana

70's MV Agusta 750

Post by tobaccoblender »

Hi there
Has anybody out there ever ridden one of those beautiful, rare MV 750 S from the early 70's?
Can somebody tell me a bit about them, how good the engines are, handling etc etc?
I'm asking on the forum because it's very rare to bump into somebody who's ever ridden one!
Cheers
Macdesmo
750 GT

Re: 70's MV Agusta 750

Post by Macdesmo »

Tobacco,
I have ridden and owned a 1972 drum braked 750s.I restored it and also an 850 America at the same time. I am currently just finishing another 750s drum brake model for someone else. The engines are superb and the bikes are a bit heavy but the handling is good with modern TT100s considering the era of manufacture . In modern day riding they need a bit of a skill upgrade for people bought up on 80s onward machinery. I was fortunate that the first MV I restored had indicators which made turning at intersections easier with the drum brake.
These early 750 engines lapped Imola in 1972 with the same lap record as the Ducati greenframe 750 with little preparation by comparison. If you are looking at buying one contact Albert Bold and he will guide you very well.
Ian
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

Ian
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply.
And that's all very interesting to read and very informative.
Yes, in a half hearted way I have been looking for one but apart from one for sale in Holland (£65000!)they are not often found. But I draw the line at £65000 for a bike.....even if it an example of what I'm told is probably the most desirable bike on the planet!
One day.....
Cheers
Paddy
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I don't have Ian's experience of riding them, but I have ridden a friends on a few occasions, usually swapping with one of my Ducati twins.

My friend's has the factory "Big Bore Kit". Given the bike swap, I tend to compare them to my Ducati's I've just stepped off. I would describe them as having a wonderful smooth power delivery. I think they handle quite well. Whilst the engine is heavy, the weight is mainly low and it is a shorter wheelbase. I find they turn into a corner easier than a Ducati, but don't execute the cornering as well. Overall for handling, I'd much prefer the same era Ducati 750 GT or Sport and I feel the shaft drive detracts from my enjoyment. That engine however....it has an awesome sound and feel.

But when asked what I wanted to ride next, I confess to being confused in this situation...

Kev
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Kev,
the beauty of these machines is they give their own characteristic ride that modern bikes can't do. All three in that photo will give a lot of enjoyment to someone who tries them.
Ian
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Paddy,
There are 2 for sale in Australia at less than what you are looking at. If you are interested I can give you a contact e-mail and you can speak direct.
Ian
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

the beauty of these machines is they give their own characteristic ride that modern bikes can't do. All three in that photo will give a lot of enjoyment to someone who tries them.
That sum's it up better than I could have. I will say however, that MV seat is the most luxurious thing I've parked my backside on any Sport bike I've ever ridden. Luxury.

A very short vid here of Marco's MV with baffles out getting ready for the Hill Climb. I liked it. The dog didn't like it much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpDb66uSnZU

Kev
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

Macdesmo wrote:Paddy,
There are 2 for sale in Australia at less than what you are looking at. If you are interested I can give you a contact e-mail and you can speak direct.
Ian
Ian
Thanks very much for replying, but since I asked about MV's, I've actually been out and bought another 750 Sport so I'm pretty well out of money now!
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

machten wrote:
That sum's it up better than I could have. I will say however, that MV seat is the most luxurious thing I've parked my backside on any Sport bike I've ever ridden. Luxury.

A very short vid here of Marco's MV with baffles out getting ready for the Hill Climb. I liked it. The dog didn't like it much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpDb66uSnZU

Kev
A thing of beauty is a joy forever!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

5 in a row here, Paddy ... ~^~

tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »