Front numberplates in Australia

Let the blabber fest begin... This area is for all topics that don't fit into one of the forum catagories & not specifically related to Ducati or even moto related for that matter. Talk away - but keep it clean and "work safe" people. Any offensive posts will be deleted at the descretion of the admins.
mdal
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Front numberplates in Australia

Post by mdal »

Can anyone tell me what year the various Australian states done away with front numberplates? Was it a national approach or did the various states do away with them at different times.
My recollection for NSW was mid 70's.
DaleMclean
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DaleMclean »

NSW must've been after '78 as my Darmah still has the holes in the front guard and the mark for the bracket :cry:
I survived :-)
mgh1955
Mariana

Post by mgh1955 »

Victoria dropped them in 1981

Mick
mdal
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by mdal »

Thanks for the replies.
I have a 12/78 SSD that one could assume would have been sold as a 1979 model, it has numberplate bracket holes and was trying to determine if the guard was correct for that year. I bought the bike from a guy that had purchased it from Eurobrit in Victoria. If Victoria changed in 1981 then I guess that would explain that if the bike was originally registered there.

Dales comment is interesting about NSW being after 1978 as a friend of mine bought a new 750SS in 1978 without front numberplate.

I guess if you don't know the history of the bike it could have come from anywhere.

Mark
Waratah
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Waratah »

I bought a new Darmah in Sydney in March 1980, it came with a front number plate. But I've got a sneaking suspicion NSW dropped front number plates sometime around 1981.

Return to “No Ducati Content - Off Topic Chat”