Changing out countershaft oil seals

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Changing out countershaft oil seals

Post by Geoff »

I asked a question and got some useful tips on changing out the countershaft oil seals and other seals in that general area around the front sprocket. Here's the replies for this FAQ:

From Ian:
For the small seals I drilled a couple of small holes in the seal
(approx 1mm) at 180 deg and then screwed in a couple of small self tappers to give me something to grip. I probably did the same for the big seal or just beat it up with a hammer and screwdriver. You dont need to remove the shaft sleeve.

The skinny inner mainshaft one , there is the practice of just adding
another one or two seals behind the old one (after you have got the F@#%$& circlip out) I believe many people do it, there is the slight worry of bits of seal being mangled by the needle roller bearing inside. It is important to put this seal in square as there is no shoulder for it to rest against.

From Steve:
>. or screw in 2 sheetmetal screws 180 degrees apart into the seal and
pull with plyers

Geoff, I forgot to answer this one and was going to. Are you sure it
is the large seal that is leaking? To know FOR SURE clean up the whole area with a rag then spray with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Once the area is dry, spray on some foot powder, you know, the stuff to prevent athlete's foot - enough so the surrounding area is now white powder.. Now go for a very short ride and check to see where the area is wet....

From Jack:
Pretty easy, Geoff-

Once the sprocket is off, the distance piece can be pulled off the
shaft by hand, it's only held in by the inner lip of the seal. The seal itself can be pried out using a small screwdriver or pick around the outer edge. Or, drive the pick into the seal itself and pry it out.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”