860 Clutch Cable slack when warm

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Tinkerbell
Mariana

860 Clutch Cable slack when warm

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi All,
The 860 is coming along nicely. I have noticed that when warm , the free play in the clutch cable increases substantially when the motor warms up completely. If I set the cable to have some discernible play when cold, 20 minutes later there is a lot more. So my shifting is good when relatively cold, and is not as good when warm . This results in doing more hunting for neutral when warm. I can set the cable much tighter when cold and then it slackens when hot. I get about .092" of lift at the pressure plate , measured with a dial indicator . I have a new Venhill cable and I inspected the clutch when it was apart and things looked pretty flat.
Any comments would be welcome.
Cheers
Kara
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: 860 Clutch Cable slack when warm

Post by BevHevSteve »

Kara - do you have the clutch actuator lever set so there is only about 2mm clearance between it and the sprocket cover? If not, start but adjusting for the spec, using the adjuster in the center of the pressure plate, then adjust the cable for a minimal amount of slop when you turn the bars full lock left.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”