Odd Darmah Clutch Cable Setup

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
killfile
Mariana

Odd Darmah Clutch Cable Setup

Post by killfile »

Hello folks,
So I'm used to everything on my 860 now and there are few surprises when I look at the Darmah I just picked up. The clutch cable routing seems odd, but the actual attachment of the cable seems exceptionally strange. The clutch cable from the handle goes through a small pulley that doubles back and clips into an area next to the adjuster and a second short cable goes from the clutch arm to the pulley and has a cable clamp that looks similar to a Vespa gearbox cable clamp. It's very odd and I'm assuming that I should swap this back to a single cable similar to my 860, but thought I'd share this here to see if anyone else had ever seen a similar setup and had any idea why someone would do this!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Odd Darmah Clutch Cable Setup

Post by Craig in France »

killfile wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 am <snip>... if anyone else had ever seen a similar setup and had any idea why someone would do this!
I can only say 'No' to both. (Maybe a DPO was deeply concerned about a clutch cable braking -? ). But as long as it works ...

I can't quite see, but is the original abutment/mount for the cable still there?
Dramah clutch cable mount.jpg
Dramah clutch cable mount.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 5310 times

P.s Good chance the engine's been apart at some time as I see the crankcase bolt on the left hand side is stainless steel.
Chasbmw
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Chasbmw »

It’s a bit difficult to see from your photos, but Pulleys are often used on clutch cables to give you extra leverage on the clutch and will substantially reduce the pressure you need to operate the clutch, the downside is that clutch adjustment is a tad more sensitive. These are often used on airhead BMWs.

A picture is helpful. http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/ ... lutch.html

Take a look at this post on the Boxerworks forum. https://forum.boxerworks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2575

Hope to be of help

Charles
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Surely the pulley setup also shortens the overall cable pull at the clutch arm end so even less movement of the clutch plates.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”