860 GT Sticky Clutch

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Tinkerbell
Mariana

860 GT Sticky Clutch

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi All,
I have a clutch question: My clutch is smooth and adequately disengages when the lever is pulled. However it sticky for a moment and then gets free. If you have it in gear and just roll the bike using your feet, you can feel the clutch get unstuck and then roll freely. So do the plates need to be cleaned on occasion, or checked for flatness or other issues?
Very Sincerely,
Kara
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: 860 GT Sticky Clutch

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Kara, since you just buttoned up your motor after doing a rebuild you don't need to check that the clutch basket main nut is tight..... wait, did you only do the top end and not split the cases? If so go ahead and pull the cover, pull the clutch basket, check that the huge nut is tight and clean all disks, check for flatness etc, smear some oil on the fiber disks and put It back together. Fun Fact: you better make sure you notice the 1 plate of each type with bent tangs and which direction those tangs are facing so you can get them all back together correctly. fair to assume they are sticky due to dirt/swarf etc.. If they seem bad I have new paks of just the fiber disks as well as steel and fiber. Also complete with alloy disks.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Wot Steve said, Kara. With the only rider ...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I guess what I'm asking is, "How bad an issue is it?"
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Steve and Craig---
I did not split the cases--just new sleeves, rings and a very very light valve lap. So , it is a fact that I did not look at the basket nut...
THe issue is that I feel it is a little more clunky upshifting than it needs to be and my sense is that it will put more wear in the long run on the scatola cambio. I just had the cover off to drop the motor down, damn there goes my gasket! Also the bike sat for two months, and I don't remember it doing this ... oh well.
Thank you!
Kara
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Steve and Craig already pointed to the possible things. Also check if the grooves of the basket and inner drum aren't too damaged. Easy to spot : they have to be smooth, not dented. Otherwise the plate(s) can get stuck and suddenly jump free, giving the feeling like You mentioned.
I tried to avoid running too slowly in gear with the clutch engaged.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Everybody,
Thank you. I think I will have to go in and have a look see. I know when I replaced the hub on the Norton , it was a much nicer clutch . Although this one is not really bad at all, for peace of mind it needs to be inspected. Maybe new springs also.
Thanks,
Kara!

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”