860gts valve seats

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
motercyclenthusist
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

860gts valve seats

Post by motercyclenthusist »

Greetings, I'm so happy your all here! Got a 75 860gts,w/ shim adj. It seems,the clearance has tightenend up a bit, under spec.,by acouple. Can I sand shims a couple .000? Or does Steve have 'em in stock? Is this a possible sign, of dreded pre-unleaded seat recession, arrrgh!!! I dont know the time frame, of the last valve adj. so after adj., I would wait and watch.Any wisdom, on additional mi., for receading ,to change shim clearence,again? If i do need to cut to the chase, and replace seats, should i use duc only, or can,high quality automotive seats, be ok? Will, orig. valves be compatable,w/ unleaded seats,nos or after market. I'l bet I better check that valve legnth too! Or go w/ new valves?? Does anyone of my new friends, have any ideas, on finding, rebuilt/ core exchange heads? Maybe a ball park idea$$$$$$$$$$, also w/ new guides installed too. Engine out,heads off, or is bevel gear set up savings, worth trying my self????Any wisdom, will be a real blessing to me and I appreciate your time and experience and willingness to share. jim~motercyclenthusist
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

Can you sand the shims a couple of thousandths? Yes. I use 400 wet and dry (used wet).
motercyclenthusist
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

shim reply, thanks den!!!!!!

Post by motercyclenthusist »

thanks, den!!!!!! and everyone viewing my questions. it's these simple, and not so , Q&A that truly reflect, an enthusist's heart. it's humbling to blog the ducatiphiles,about perticulars,i have no intamate knowledge of. thanks again, salud, jim~motercyclenthusist

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”