860GT Update

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
killfile
Mariana

860GT Update

Post by killfile »

Hey folks,
I often post on the forum to ask for help, but I thought I'd just post to give people on update as I haven't posted in a while.
In June of 2019 I had a FABULOUS ride on my '75 GT. 3 days, 900 miles, nothing but smiles and some interesting sightseeing:

I've been continuing to lose oil from the sprocket area and on most recent inspection it appears my needle roller bearing has been destroyed on that side, so no amount of packing in oil seals will help. I parked her while I finished a Norton I'd been building from boxes. The Norton is now done, so I'm either digging into this problem in earnest, or doing something else.

I hope all of your rides have been smooth!
andybaggies
Mariana

Re: 860GT Update

Post by andybaggies »

The shaft in the photo does look to be off centre - is that because of the suspect bearing failure or just the angle the camera was at?

So will this have to be a split cases job to replace?

Andy B
killfile
Mariana

Post by killfile »

Andy,
Yep, unfortunately the off angle is from the parts, the camera is aimed dead on. It is going to be a split the cases situation.
andybaggies
Mariana

Post by andybaggies »

It is going to be a split the cases situation.
Oh.... that is a right royal pain. You do have my condolences.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”