860 Old Engine periodic head re-torque ??

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Tinkerbell
Mariana

860 Old Engine periodic head re-torque ??

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi All,
I have my 860 with 15 000 miles on the clock . The engine looks very undisturbed. Should the bevel's cylinder heads be retorqued at this point? or should I just let them be -- since there seems to be no indication of problems or issues. It is entirely possible that the head bolts have been in place for 45 years --I would hate to rip up some threads in the crankcase in the service of an unnecessary maintenance procedure....
Thanks ,
Kara
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 860 Old Engine periodic head re-torque ??

Post by Craig in France »

My advice: leave them alone, Kara. They don't have a habit of loosening (I can see you've been around British Iron for too long ... :).

You won't do any damage by retorqueing them ... but you won't necessarily do any good either :-)

On the other hand, it IS a good idea to check the exhaust nuts from time to time. If they start to undo, they can chatter in the thread and damage it. And that can be a right PITA to restore. (Ideally, the nuts should be lock wired).

To tighten the nut without risking breaking off one or more of the fins - they are fragile; you have been warned! :-D - you need a special tool. Irritating, I know; but there you go. These are widely available from the 'Usual Sources' - Steve will sell you one, for example.

The originals looked like this:

(As you may have discovered ....) You also need a special tool for tightening the drive chain. Hopefully, there was one in the tool tray when you got the bike. Should look like this:

If not, they're easy enuf to fashion out of a bit of old gas pipe. Or you go 'splash the cash' and get a ready made one - there's a coupla different models available.
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Craig,
You are correct about the British outlook. My horn actually rattled right off the Norton and I never found it again.
I think I will test the head nuts with a wrench to see if any want to tighten, but since these heads have been there since the Flood , I won't back them out unless necessary. I have an exhaust wrench--I don't think safety wire holes have been drilled in the adjacent fins. I have a list of little projects to catch up on. Our weather here in Portland , OR. is starting to turn to the wet and gloomy ( see Germany) and this bike won't really be ready until next season. The two main tasks are to refurb the steering head bearings and refit the original instrument panel and lamps.
Thanks,
Kara
Craig in France
Paso 906

Tinkerbell wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 am I don't think safety wire holes have been drilled in the adjacent fins.
Ah, you touch on another Ducati mystery :shock: . Sometimes they are ... and sometimes they aren't. And rarely, if ever, on the back.

By no means essential; but easy enuf done, especially during a wet and gloomy Portland winter :).

Look out for the instrument panel. Even when new, they were very prone to split just north of the mounts. And given the passage of time, that won't have improved. Damien Birch in Australia makes excellent and stronger repros, however. I see Steve has them on his list, so that will save you the mailing cost and the potential hassle of getting stuff out of Oz at the mo'.

For Damien's site, go:
https://bevelrubber.com.au/cart/index.p ... oqjj7t01i1

And Steve's:
https://store.bevelheaven.com/Dashboards-etc-a/
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Craig,
My instrument panel is already cracked. However, I have a CNC machine and I will make a right angle brace for the attachment and bolster the original. I am not concerned with absolute originality but I do want to keep it reasonably close to stock. I have machined up custom side covers . The left side cover allows the cone filter to protrude a bit and you can see the Dellorto.
Sincerely,
Kara
Craig in France
Paso 906

Good stuff! You know we will want pictures at the end ... :-D
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Craig,
Do you know of a good free photo hosting platform?
I have never used one...
Sincerely,
Kara
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Kara: I use Imgur: https://imgur.com/
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

My personal favorite:

https://postimage.org/

ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

I have an exhaust wrench--I don't think safety wire holes have been drilled in the adjacent fins.
There should be four holes drilled between the fins so no need for drilling extra.
Maybe in the head or cylinder or valvecover.
Good enough for wiring the nut.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”