860 GT Jacking Point under crankcase

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Tinkerbell
Mariana

860 GT Jacking Point under crankcase

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Everybody,
Can the 860 be jacked in the air with a scissors jack placed under the crankcase such that the weight is being borne by the motor without risking damage to said power plant ?
Thank you,
Kara
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: 860 GT Jacking Point under crankcase

Post by ducadini »

As long as You don't use the fins up front, they could break. Don't ask.

ciao,
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Yes, Kara, no worries. Just slide a board or a lump of wood in between the jack and the sump.

Craig
andybaggies
Mariana

Post by andybaggies »

Here are a couple of bits of wood and threaded bar that have proved to be real useful. One for under the engine and the other for mounting a cylinder head on to allow it to worked on in the comfort of ones own home. Possibly on the dining room table ho hum... :-D

The difficulty I have found with the engine support is exactly where the centre of balance is.
help.jpg
Andy B
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Nice Andy. I should make something similar.

Kara: I use a small bottle jack and three pieces of wood, two strips that run front to back each side of the engine seam and then one under these between them and the jack.

Just a note: if you are ever contemplating head work, the motor can be dropped in-situ, leaving just the lower rear bolt in place. The casings have to be removed but that's an easy job:

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”