Revising Countershaft Leak

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
killfile
Mariana

Revising Countershaft Leak

Post by killfile »

Hey Folks!
Long time no post, I'll make sure to make a separate post about how I've take the '75 860 on the 560 mile NorCalTT and the 900 mile MotoMelee before the pandemic. I've been trying to fix a leak from the countershaft since I received the bike and I started by reading this entire thread which was very useful:
https://forum.bevelheaven.com/viewtopic ... aft#p22131

I packed in another seal (item 105 in the parts diagram that Dessmo posted) but that didn't help and I'm still gushing a ton of oil. So I looked at the countershaftagain and I'm worried that the needle bearing on the countershaft is gone/missing/disintegrated. Just a reminder that when I received this bike, ALL the wheel bearings were FROZEN, so I'm thinking many of the bearings might be in bad shape. A complete rebuild of the engine will happen when I have the funds but I'll probably have to sell a bike to make that happen. Here is a picture of the area, you can see that the center spindle isn't centered in the countershaft and it is almost touching the retaining clip.

In the meantime I'm hoping to push in a new needle bearing, but I'm having the hardest time getting the metal retaining clip out with the center spindle in place. Does anyone have any tips or is it impossible to do without taking the center out?
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Re: Revising Countershaft Leak

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Kilfie: That is the end of the main shaft that you are looking at and frankly I'd be very concerned about the rest of the gearbox. As you have noted, it's not possible for the shaft end to point that way without the lack of the needle bearing so it must have failed. There's a second needle bearing further back and two big roller bearings on the same shaft. I'd be wary of all of them. If this was my bike, I'd drop and split the motor and do a full/check rebuild. These are really easy motors to work on if you are orderly and disciplined. Have you got the 860 manual?
killfile
Mariana

Re: Revising Countershaft Leak

Post by killfile »

Thanks 81mhr900ss,
I was assuming this was the case but was hoping I could slot this bearing in from this side due to the retaining ring. The engine has low compression and I new a rebuilt was coming, but I was hoping to put it off a bit longer. I had an electronic ignition installed by a professional friend and he uncovered some questionable work in the engine, so I'm thinking it is best taken care of by someone who knows these engines a bit better than myself since I might not notice the bodges like he would.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”