76 860 crossover shaft problems, still...

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
hunde
Mariana

76 860 crossover shaft problems, still...

Post by hunde »

Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum...

alright, this issue has kept this bike off the road for 10 years - quite a shame..

Years ago, I had the bike getting stuck in gear. Took the selector box to Desomto in SF, and they replaced some springs and shimmed the box.

Finally re-installed it, and immediately it jammed.The issue seems to be that the arm on the end of the crossover shaft (with the pin) pops out of the 'box lever with "C"on upshift. box is perfect on the bench though. Have had several talented and bevel knowledge people look at this and can't figure it out. We actually extended the "C" on the arm 1/4", but it popped right out.

So here are my ideas:

Try to find another crossover shaft arm or two to see if I can make some combo work.

Modify arms with joints similar to rearset joints. saw one once, so perhaps it would work.

Convert the thing back to rt foot shift. I found this list of parts needed, and I know the shaft that puts splines on outside of the box (shifting spindle 0608.13.20), and I can work it from there. Here is the list:

brake petal 0795.41.100

footpeg mounting stud 0795.69.020

two circlips (or seegers) 735000.1542

return spring for brake petal. . . 0795.41.030

gear shift lever 0601.13.020

shifting spindle 0608.13.200

Not too concerned about originality, but don't want it to stand out too much. also don't want aggressive rear-sets, I'm keeping the "Grand Touring" positioning for long range comfort.

Thanks in advance!

Tom in SF
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: 76 860 crossover shaft problems, still...

Post by ducadini »

crossovershaft still straight ? The little groove could cover a small bending, allowing the pin to pop out.
Are the "c" and the pin as close to eachother as possible when in rest ?
I did the "joints" conversion years ago, but remember it reversed the shiftingpattern.

Dumping the crossovershaft and shifting rh means modifying the brake also.

Hope You get it back on the road

ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Spagjet
Mach 3

Post by Spagjet »

have you tried moving the little forked arm on the selector box down one spline (so the end of the arm sits slightly lower) ? If someone has put it on at some stage one spline too high it might explain why it pops out on upshift and works on the bench but not on the bike.
hunde
Mariana

Post by hunde »

Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately the 860 has been buried for quite a while, not getting more accessible anytime soon. There are a couple bikes ahead of it on the priority list, hoping to get back to it in a few months. I'm sure I'll be back on this thread with questions - and hopefully success!

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”