860GT (kickstart) Electronic Ignition Options

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
swooshdave
Diana

Re: 860GT (kickstart) Electronic Ignition Options

Post by swooshdave »

BevHevSteve wrote:Dave, pull each individual wire out of the molex connector after marking which goes where. Then pull wires out of gland assembly.
So do you fish the rubber part out of the engine case? I still don't see the wires going through the glad. There are also blade connectors in addition to the molex.
Phil Porter
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Phil Porter »

Also, you will need the gland nut adapter from Volker. Costs about $15 if I recall.
Gas it up!!!.....Are We There Now?
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

I think the adapter should have been include. I'll check the packaging when I get home.

I'll also post a pic of the wires to show you why it's going to be difficult to pull the wires through.
Phil Porter
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Phil Porter »

Yes, fish the rubber grommet out of the case, and slide it off the wires. You have to cut the wires off where they attach to the red transducers, and the grommet will slide right off. Then, just pull the stator off the crank while working the wire through the hole left by the rubber grommet. Just push the wire while pulling the stator. Before the wire clears completely, wrap a length of safety wire around the ends to ease threading the wire from the trigger unit. After you screw the trigger plate on, run the grommet back down the wire and position the wire on the bottom of the hole. Run the gland nut adapter down and snug it up on the engine case. Then, run the wire through the gland nut and thread it on down to the adapter. Tighten it down, and Bob's yer uncle. Just got through doing it on my 860 GT.
Gas it up!!!.....Are We There Now?
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

Except they failed to include the gland adapter...

So we ran the new wire through the rubber grommet (one side) and then slid a thin rubber washer with a small diameter hole over the wire. Then the gland nut. Tightened this down.Then the cavity will get filled with silicon for now. The thin rubber washer will act as a dam to prevent the silicone from getting into the crankcase. When they send the correct gland adapter it will come apart and get done correctly. With no ETA we wanted to get it back together to as least troubleshoot the wiring.

As I think has been noted many times the instructions are a little, ahem, lacking.

" The marking in the trigger wheel must be located near the groove."

There is a small punch mark near one of the screw holes. We have lined this up with the keyway. I think groove = slot? Anyone disagree?
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

Here's an option for mounting the Dyna coils on a 750GT. We'll look at something similar.
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

Here's the solution for us:

blaine.hale
Mariana

Post by blaine.hale »

What kind of puller are y'all using to get the flywheel off? Been at it all day trying to get an 860 flywheel off to no avail. Soon as I get the flywheel off, I can move full steam ahead with the new electronic ignition.
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

I don't recall. I don't think we bought a dedicated puller so it was either a three jaw or a steering wheel puller.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Deleted 'cos replaced by next message.
Last edited by Craig in France on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

blaine.hale wrote:What kind of puller are y'all using to get the flywheel off? .
Hi Blaine,

Look here:
viewtopic.php?t=1623

Best thing is the right tool, but hard to come by. So best get creative with a standard 3-legged puller... :) .

HTH

Craig

P.s. There's the Real Thing (well, almost ...) for sale here. In theory. Go to page 3.
http://home.arcor.de/berndz2001/ducati/ ... T_LIST.pdf

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”