Crossover Pipes

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Crossover Pipes

Post by animosity »

A question for the guru's out there, my 860GT has had the crossover pipe removed and replaced with a small straight through pipe into the conti's. My question is, will it run better with this set-up or would I be better off fitting a crossover pipe? Will it matter either way?? I assume the crossover pipe is there for a reason...

Thanks!
Harvey.
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Crossover Pipes

Post by Harvey. »

The crossover pipe is included to reduce the sound level, letting each cylinder to use both mufflers to reduce the sound. Removing the 'balance' pipe has the cylinders running, with a tuned length pipe, that will allow the sound waves to work to scavenge the cylinders. This needs the carb to be rejetted, especially the front cylinder, or you can lose a piston. :shock:
I would replace the crossover to reduce the sound and preserve the standard jetting.
Harvey.
'Tell it, like it is.'
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by animosity »

Thanks Harvey. I'm looking into getting a new crossover and will see how she goes once i get it on.

Cheers mate.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

....Or install one of these Verlicchi's and never talk to your neighbours again!!!!

Just joking. :twisted:

Kev
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

machten wrote:....Or install one of these Verlicchi's and never talk to your neighbours again!!!!

Just joking.

Kev
I had a Verlicchi 2-into-1 fitted to my 900SS. My wife claimed she could hear me six kilometres away coming up the river valley. Mine is a little different though. The headers and exaust can are separate parts. It is stamped 'riservato competizione'.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I've got a Conti 2-1 on my Darmah and it is pretty civilized. I can't recall ever seeing another one though,must be kinda rare.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

A mate had a Geninaly {sp} 2 into 1,it was painfully loud,

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”