Engine swap

If you need technical information or help with your Paso based 2 valve non-900 Ducati engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Pacman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Engine swap

Post by Pacman »

I am in the early stages of refurbishing and bringing back to life an '85 650 Elefant. I have carb rebuilt, some electrical wiring replacement, and consumables including brake lines and caliper rebuilding left. As of lately, and I really don't know why, I have really been thinking about replacing the old pantah for a late 90s carb'd engine. I was wondering if anyone know of a specific engine that would be "swappable".... I'm specifically referring to case and frame dimensions. Just wondering..... The only thing I don't know I am willing to give up is the kick start.... ~^~ :rad: It is quite cool to have a kick start. Reminds me of my youth riding dirt bikes.... :vroom:
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: Engine swap

Post by ducadini »

The only engines You can use are the elefant engines 350-650.
The later have slightly different cases and it MAY not be possible to fit them : the engine-bolt-swingarm configuration is different on earlier and later engines. Most inner parts, except the gearbox with (Indiana) dry clutch, are the same.
Your rear swingarms is fitted in a (fixed) excentric piece in the case.

Kickstarter, yeah right, I trew it out but with 6'1" and at 53, my right knee reminds me that I shouldn't have done that :-)

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Pacman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Engine swap and other things..

Post by Pacman »

Thanks for your help. Yeah, for some reason I was fixating on the two motor mounts not realizing swingarms are completely different. Oh well... It is all good. I'm getting there... I'll be manufacturing my own two into one to connect to a left over Ti slip on, so I was wondering if anyone can shed light on proper jetting of the 36 PHFs for pods and slip on exhaust on a 650cc ?

One more thing. The Motoplat coils. I can't remove the ignition wires without butchering the coils. Nothing wrong with them that I can see, but I'd like to install new spark plug wires. I have a set of coils left from the 1996 SS SP when I upgraded to the Dyna set up. Are these stock 90s Ducati coils meant for Kockusan compatible with the Bosch igniters? I'd like to upgrade but the last thing I need is to blow up $400 worth of igniters...
Ducatidav
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Ducatidav »

Im getting ready to get my 85 elefant going too.
Let me know if you learn any tricks. Mine has not run in about 8 years. It turns over and i have new intake manifolds so i think the rest should be pretty easy im hoping.
Keep me informed of your progress.
Pacman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Pacman »

Are those new old stock manifolds or replacement? I'd like to replace mine as well, but can't seem to find specs anywhere.... Any help would be much appreciated... <> Also, any suggestions on rejetting for pods and slip ons?

Return to “'Reverse Head' Pantah Engines [rear exhaust faces rearward] > Indiana, Elefant, Paso 350/750, 750 Sport & SS, Monster 600/750”