need identification help

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
bikerboyz2202
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

need identification help

Post by bikerboyz2202 »

i am in the process of restoring what i was told was a 1966 350 scrambler but cannot find a picture, specs or history of one of these for reference. it has the 350 bevel drive motor and i was told it is a widecase. i have pictures of the 1966 250 scrambler that looks identical but nothing related to a 350.
ducati4.5.jpg
any information would be useful
Craig in France
Paso 750

Re: need identification help

Post by Craig in France »

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
bikerboyz2202 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:28 pm i am in the process of restoring what i was told was a 1966 350 scrambler but cannot find a picture, specs or history of one of these for reference. it has the 350 bevel drive motor and i was told it is a widecase.
First off, it CANNOT be a 1966 wide case. That is because the first wide case appeared in 1968 (well, late 1967 to be precise, the first prototype being shown at the Cologne Moto Show in September of that year. But because the Ducati production year ran from September, these are normally called 1968 models).

So, is it a wide case or a narrow case? Unfortunately, for me your photo is too small to be sure altho' it superficially has many of the characteristics of a narrow case. But easy to be certain:

Does the clutch cable at the engine end pass thru the engine case? This is narrow case.
Or does it pass over the engine case to connect to the actuating lever? This is wide case.

See photo below.
Narrow case & wide case clutch levers.jpg
HTH

Craig
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

The bike on the picture is a Widecase and by counting the fins (9) on the cylinder it is probably a 350.
That's about all I can tell from this pic, never really got into singles and/or the differences between US UK AUS and all European models.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Craig in France
Paso 750

ducadini wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:36 am The bike on the picture is a Widecase <snip>
Agree - now that I've blown the photo up :doh: . Can see the clutch lever :-D .

And looking closer, the mounting for the shock absorbers is in the wide case position, not the narrow case. And the seat has a trim piece which the narrow case didn't. And the headlamp is black, not silver. And those headlamp mounts are wide case. And, and, and ... ;)

So a 1968 (possibly even late 1967) 350 wide case Scrambler, first series. Really quite a desirable bike :) .
Craig in France
Paso 750

Should look something like this, btw. Photo and text from Ian Falloon.

And again (probably the same image) ...

bikerboyz2202
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bikerboyz2202 »

it is definitely a wide case then, it does look identical to the photos. the vin# 05297 and the engine # DM 350/ 052397. it does have a black headlamp shell with the shocks and thee seat trim strips as described. i can throw up some more pics if that will help, just let me know what you need however i do have the bike completely disassembled for restoration. thanks much
bikerboyz2202
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by bikerboyz2202 »

i also sent a contact form with my question and information to ducati usa so we'll see what happens. not expecting much though, we are just little people
Craig in France
Paso 750

Here are the records from the Robert Miller/BevelHeaven register. You can see where your bike fits in. Quite a rare and desirable model.
350 SCR.jpg
Please don't forget to submit your numbers to Robert, [email protected]. Just be careful to get them absolutely right - so much stuff he gets is faulty, and he doesn't clean data.

(Btw, it's not a VIN number, but a frame number. VINs didn't exist at the time. And in the USA, frame and engine numbers usually match, this being a consequence of the American registration legislation that was then in force).

You may get a reply from Ducati USA. However, be aware that Ducati is not like, say, BMW. The factory has been thru so many ownership changes, many records have been lost or destroyed and, to be honest, there hasn't been the same pride in the past when it comes to non-race bikes. That said, over on another Forum, an owner did recently get a useful response. So fingers crossed.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

it does have a black headlamp shell with the shocks and thee seat trim strips as described.
Don't want to disappoint You but those things were fairly interchangeable and could've come from another bike/type.
Main things are engine (wide or narrow), cylinder (8 fin 250, 9 fin 350, 10 fin 450 unless they DID know what they were doing), heads (Desmo or spring)
Frames are not so easily modified, except the fitting points of tanks, seats and "toolboxes".
Just bear in mind that most of those frames were identical, except for a few fitting points :-D :-D but done by the manufacturer.
Forks were rather interchangeable so don't use them for identification, just to check.
Welcome in the wonderful confusing world of Ducati :-D :-D
Best is ride the bike, You'll learn to wrench later :-D :-D

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”