Advice on a GTL 500

If you need technical information or help with your parallel twin Ducati GTL 350/500 or Sport Desmo 350/500 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Jhblane
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Advice on a GTL 500

Post by Jhblane »

Hey folks,

So I’ve got a potential trade in the works for my painstakingly restored ‘75 condor a350 with the Ducati single for a garage kept gtl500. It’s been sitting, but cosmetically looks great, tank will need a clean and coat, but otherwise nothing else I can see. Anything else I should look out for on these? I know of the oil and camshaft issues already. Also should I be talked out of this? He also offered a paso 750, but don’t think thats a good fit. I’m not able to inspect the bike in person until we have decided, so it;s all photos.

Thanks for your help
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: Advice on a GTL 500

Post by ducadini »

Our first Ducati was a SD500. Best steering bike till now (still have to rebuild the F3/F1).
As You said : those parallel twins had some issues so after two years we bought a Darmah.
Current userbike is a US Paso 750. Not daily, but at least a tank/week.
If it wasn't so bloody difficult to work on (dismantling that thing takes hours) we would love it.
Funny thing is that we, apart from a rare spin on one, never used a single (not counting the handful 2stroke Ducati's).
So, we really can't judge or give any advice cause our situation is very probably VERY different than Yours.
BTW : the only bike we EVER bought based on pics was a 86 650 Elephant that was crashed. Just because we knew the engine was better than ours.
Never did that again.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Parallel Twin Engines > GTL/Sport Desmo 350 & 500”