No shims on swinging arm

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Chasbmw
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

No shims on swinging arm

Post by Chasbmw »

I have just removed the swinging arm from my 73/74 GT.

There were no shims fitted, what clearance should I be aiming for and are the shims split between each side or are they fitted to one side only

The swinging arm pin came out with a bit of persuasion from a suitably sized spark plug socket and a lump hammer, lots of corrosion on the side of the swinging arm that did not have a grease nipple, if I drill and tap the swinging arm for a second nipple, should I go for a M6 size?

Thanks

Charles
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: No shims on swinging arm

Post by BevHevSteve »

the swing arm needs a shim on each side to keep the swing arm from grinding into the frame. I have no idea what tolerance is needed just not tight and not allowing for any side to side movement once installed. It doesn;t matter what size nipple you use just put it somewhere easy to get to and so it doesn;t interfere with anything.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Charles: The parts manual shows three sizes: https://www.ducaticlassics.com/parts/75 ... and-shocks

My bet would be that a previous owner had the swing arm off and had trouble getting it back on with shims on both sides so gave up trying.

Good luck

Rick
Chasbmw
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Chasbmw »

Thanks guys, that very useful information I’ll see if I can measure what the clearance is before I order some shims.

Charles

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”