860 gt Moving forks up 5mm in Triple Clamps??

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Tinkerbell
Mariana

860 gt Moving forks up 5mm in Triple Clamps??

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi all,
I think I read from Steve to move the forks up by 5mm in the triple clamps...For the novice, what would be the expected effect of such a change?
I am going to replace head brgs and that would be the time to do this.
Thanks,
Kara
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Re: 860 gt Moving forks up 5mm in Triple Clamps??

Post by 81mhr900ss »

I can't believe that 5mm of movement is going to have any noticeable impact at all.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

I would be surprised if You notice anything, except Your exhaust grounding faster (because the weight gets more front-biased and the drop of about 2.5 mm in the middle of the bike).
I would be surprised if You notice THAT :-D :-D
So, go ahead, it won't hurt and at last You can have the (non)experience for Yourself, instead of relying on subjective sensations of fellow-Ducatisti.

have fun

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
rsuarez
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rsuarez »

I don't know on the Ducati, but I race enduro and in the dirtbike 5 mm is very noticeable in stability and cornering agility. The more you move them up the more agile but you will have the risk of inducing headshake.

In my Honda CBX I raised the rear 5 mm (which is the same effect) and it developed headshake.

Post by Vince »

Modern bikes have way less trail than Bevels, Bevels typically have a trail figure of 110ish mm and that has them Chopper like, slow steering and very stable so it takes a lot to change this. Modern bikes are typically around 70 to 80mm of trail that produces faster steering and less stability and tiny changes to Gyomatry have way more effect and can produce tank slappers more easily. It's not that either is the best, just products of their time. I have lowered the front and jacked the rear of my old Italian bike plus modded the stands to still work. It's still stable but takes way less work to hustle it in the tight stuff. The higher seat height is a bit of a pain but I like the results
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

The super relaxed geometry of all the bevel drives is very couch like. raising the forks (dropping the triple clamps - same thing) will change geometry slightly which will give a bit quicker handling. Doing this as well as adding a qtr or 3/8" length of your shocks coupled with the CORRECT sized tires (not going larger on the tires as so many people do for some unknown reason) and your bevel will still be VERY stable but turn quicker and easier.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”