head bracket factory numbers

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
ImolaCams
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

head bracket factory numbers

Post by ImolaCams »

I have two sets of numbers stamped into the head bracket tube of a frame i have here.

One starts DGM # 13xxx # OM

The other is 860S # 850xxx #

Can aussies in particular tell me which of those is supposed to be the VIN number ?

The registration papers show last rego date in 1985 and there is no VIN number on the papers , only engine number.
killfile
Mariana

Re: head bracket factory numbers

Post by killfile »

860S # 850xxx # Is the VIN number

DGM # 13xxx # is the part number

Crazy huh?
ImolaCams
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ImolaCams »

thankyou :)

confusement no more.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Not entirely correct, at least about the part number.
Verlicchi stamped the frames with partnumber DGM 123 860 SS * *, sent them over to Ducati and Guido at Ducati entered the REAL framenumber between the stars.
So in a few countries in Europe only the sixdigit number was used on the documents.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

killfile wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 am 860S # 850xxx # Is the VIN number

DGM # 13xxx # is the part number
Not so, to be accurate.

The " 860S # 850xxx" number is the FRAME number. VINs (Vehicle Identification Number) did not exist at the time. If your rego authority (or whoever) is asking for a VIN, use either the frame number or the engine number (which is stamped on the crankcases behind the rear cylinder). Or ask them which they prefer :) .

"DGM # 13xxx # " is the HOMOLOGATION code. 'Homologation ' means type approval.

In the code, which is common to all bikes of a particular model (or models)*, 'DGM' stands for the Direzione Generale per la Motorizzazione , the name of the Italian homologation authority. 'OM' are the first two letters of the Italian word, 'omologazione'.

* For example, the homologation number 13715 was first given to the 860GT, but it was still in use on pre-1980 Darmahs and MHRs.

HTH

Craig

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”