Darmah Identification

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Macca
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah Identification

Post by Macca »

G'day, now I know that some of these '80s bikes can be hard to nail down so I hope someone out there can help.
The bike I'm looking for is an SSD and I've found this unit with the following numbers:

Engine#: 906485DM860
Frame#: DM900SD 952646
Frame homologation#: DGM 19133 OM (not DGM19139 OM)

Can anyone tell me is this an SD or an SSD.

Thanks,Macca.
IBM
Craig in France
Paso 906

SD or SSD?

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Macca

These are very late numbers (the highest recorded Darmah frame number is generally reckoned to be 953160, the highest engine 906992), and most SSDs appear to have been made in two batches, both earlier than this - the latest on the BevelHeads/Robert Miller register is 951672 (frame) and 905416 (engine). However, Ian Fallon reckons some SSDs were made up later.

3 quick checks:
1. Does the bike have a small square plate welded to the front of the headstock down tube? If yes, this is a SSD frame.

2. Does the idiot light mount have 2 or 4 holding down bolts? 2 is SSD, 4 is SD.

3. Does the right hand side panel have three holes drilled in the rear edge? If yes, then this is SD, not SSD which has a different cut-out (to clear the rear brake master cylinder).

Ciao

Craig in UK
Macca
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah Identification.

Post by Macca »

Craig, thanks for the reply. I've e-mailed the seller of this bike again and asked him to check those items you mentioned.
I'm actually getting a bit doubtfull of this unit as the current owner has replaced the left hand side crankcase cover with that from an SS, ("the electric start clutch was dragging too much H.P."), and installed the kick start mechanism, again from an SS. None of the original parts are in his possesion so the restoration to orig. SSD could be an expensive exercise. We will see.
Again, thanks for your help.
Macca.
IBM
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

ssd?

Post by BevHevSteve »

I have 2 darmahs both have the square plate on the headstock. One is that blue 82 darmah the other an 81 black and gold. both are all original low miles i know the original owner of both bikes.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

SD & SSD frames

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Steve

Yeh, this doesn't surprise me. I can well believe that at the end of the Darmah production run there could have been unused 'SSD' frames around, and the factory simply used these for standard Darmahs.

Ciao

Craig
Macca
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

SD or SSD

Post by Macca »

G'day Craig & Steve,
I bit the bullit and purchased the beast and it is now in my possetion.
I'll e-mail some photos to Steve and he can put them up to give you all an idea what a 23 yr. old, well used Duke looks like. What I can say is that the engine has had substantial work done on it by Gowanlochs and is very clean (no leaks) and supprisingly quiet, (no rattles or other strange noises). Conti's are rusted out from the inside (basically no baffels left) so it is very loud. Body work, paint and general condition is that of a 23yr. old well used bike.
As to if it is SD or SSD I think it is one of Ian Fallons "spare parts specials".
To quote from his 1998 publication DUCATI TWINS restoration guide,

"......900 SSD's continued to be built sporadically as late as 1983 and 1984. Some may have been lying around the factory, while others were spare parts specials. For instance, nine SSD's went to Australia in 1993, and 14 in 1994. Like the 900 SD's of this period, these are almost impossible to document because of their inconsistencies."

I think this is one of those. When I get the pics to Steve you can decide for yourselves and I would be very interested in your comments.

Regards,Macca.[/i]
IBM

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”