Marzocchi rear shock - rebuild

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

machten,
And other good folks.

Found the parts I needed - at:

http://www.desmo-ducati.de/shop/

Tad pricier than I hoped for, as soon as I work out how to purchase (German site with rough English) I will buy a few.

Cheers
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Good work! Are they different from the ikon ones?

I got lucky last week too. A set of 300mm Euro 74's as used on 74 Sports (and green frames, I think) from evil Bay. A guy in the UK bought them many years ago for a BSA or something, fitted them, didn't like 'em and took them off after 10 miles and put them back in the box. I got them on Friday. They're pristine, not a scratch on them, never been messed with. Cost me AU$150 plus about $50 postage - bargain!

fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

Gee nice find there. Mount them behind glass in the pool room and retell the story...

The rubbers and metal bits look like the originals. I assume they are press fit and will be an absolute bugger to take out the old ones.

Geoff
"Blind faith leads to desired truth." Adam Peenum
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

i'll give ya $400 for em -right now

steve
so much time--so little to say
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Yeah, the silent blocks should be pressed out with a mechanical press ideally, and likewise back in. Doesn't take a lot of pressure necessarily, just in the right direction, and evenly. If you're carefull, and have a drift of the right size that could well work, I've never done it. Just remember the main assembly is only alloy.

I was reading Ian Fallon's book last night and discovered the the 74 SS and the 74 Sport do have the same shocks, but they are apparently 305mm, not 300mm. This was a bit a bit disappointing, as I'd measured my Sport shocks, two sets of 73 Sport shocks and even a mates green frame that he's has since it was a toddler and came up with 300mm. A closer exaqmination of the G/F shocks in situ looks like they are 305, but mine and the 73's are 300. Anyway, the current 300s seem to work fine after the rebuild - might have to watch the weight a bit!!!

Kev
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

OK. If worse comes to worse I can force the old rubber out and then grind the out ring as I assume it will be frozen in place. A bit of a clean up then squeeze the new ones in using my vice. Done this sort of thing before. Patience is my middle name.

Geoff
"Blind faith leads to desired truth." Adam Peenum
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BevelDave »

The OD is 25mm, I searched high and low, couldn't find bushes anywhere.
Dave
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Steve,

They're 5 mm short, apparently. No good to to a long lanky well built fella like yourself! Only good for short "stocky" people. Your feet would scrape on the ground!

Kev
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BevelDave »

Damien Birch @ Bevel Rubber has seal kits for Marzocchi's.
Dave
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

machten wrote:Good work! Are they different from the ikon ones?

I got lucky last week too. A set of 300mm Euro 74's as used on 74 Sports (and green frames, I think) from evil Bay. A guy in the UK bought them many years ago for a BSA or something, fitted them, didn't like 'em and took them off after 10 miles and put them back in the box. I got them on Friday. They're pristine, not a scratch on them, never been messed with. Cost me AU$150 plus about $50 postage - bargain!

Forget $400 how does $600 sound ???
Gota love a free world !!
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Sorry Martin - there's something I'm planning to bolt them on to after I've finished admiring them!!

It is nice to know, that occasionally, a bevel owner has a win on the parts market.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Yeah I know what you mean , so far with the parts that I have bought for the SS for the restore later this year I have done quite well, I do have a set of 300mm 1975 SS shocks that will be sold later on and got a set for the 76 last week but they need seals , I'm sure i'll get there one way or the other

Cheers

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”