Darmah Swing arm

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
garryc
Parallel Twin

Darmah Swing arm

Post by garryc »

Looking for advice on tightening pinch bolts on swing arm adjuster. Concerned about over tensioning as I read somewhere it is possible to crush swing arm. How tight is tight enouf=gh unable to get a socket on to use tension wrenchGraesed swing arm, went for a short ride, checked chain way to loose, adjusted tightened pinch bolts short ride, loose chain again, adjusted chain and tightened bolts a bit more
thanks
garry
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Is it possible that the eccentric cam is slightly under sized and every time you adjust the chain and than re-tighten the cam locking bolt that it actually only looks like that it is being tightened, but isn't --- If you know what I mean ?

I have a spare set if you want to give them a try ?

Cheers
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

i had the exact same problem a few months ago,even pulled out swing arm and cleaned adjusters thinking chain lube etc was in there.lasted about 100k`s.got a new set up from gowalochs and now i need a breaker bar to adjust it,at least it dont come loose.
garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc »

Thanks Gavin,
what was it you replaced,
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

sorry mate.. the adjusters themselves .concentrics or whatever they are called.mine were badly scored they wern`t too expensive from memory
garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc »

Thanks gavin, will call gowies to get them, what was the process for the replacing of them
thanks
garry
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

It is entirely possible that you are simply adjusting the chain too tight to begin with. So each time you ride the chain stretches out. My experience is that it doesn't take very much pressure at app to pinch the eccentric tightly enought to hold it where you want it.

The only real 'correct' way to set the chain sloack is to put the bike up on the centerstand. Remove the top shock bolts and then put the rear axle at the right height so that the countershaft (engine) sprocket, swinging arm pivot and rear axle are lined up in a straight line. I pit a wedge under the tire to hold it where you want it.

Now adjust the chain slack (tension) per the manuf spec.

Now take the bike off the centerstand and sit on the bike. Have a pal measure the chain slack and notice that it has increased.....

I find that folks don't do this... The just sit on the bike take a measurement and adj.ending up with an over tightened chain..
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

I must admit Steve, thats the first time I've heard of tensioning a darmah /even GT chain that way.
I understand the logic, just never had an issue with the sit on it, (or actually have someone sit in it off the stand,and then adjust method.
I guess the tension on the pinch bolts comes down to an individuals heavy handedness too.
Ive come across pinch bolts (my recent 860GT) that goliath had tightened and as a result caused grief with the eccentrics/ movement. Was a nightmare that took too much persuasion to remedy for my liking.

I have had issue I must admit with trying to adjust Darmah pinch bolts with the bike on the stand (as you are not supposed to do of course), then when it hits the ground the tension goes loose.
Ah, we learn quickly eh.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

garry,you have to remove the swing arm to replace the adjusters,i had to reshim the swing arm as well.its a bit fiddly getting the swing arm back in by your self with the shims.as i said mine were badly worn,and the previous owner(a mate of mine) had been having trouble with it for some time.it was quite scary riding with him as the chain would always be doing some weird mexican wave. i agree with steve an over adjusted chain will do the same thing.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”