Rear Shocks

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Rear Shocks

Post by Gum »

The owner says there original, I have no reason to doubt him, but are they. I have never seen them before. Thanks Gum

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

no way-but get your cheque book out and buy it now. that is rare meat indeed
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Rare

Post by Gum »

How much does rare meat cost ????? The owner insists that he saw it unpacked in 73 and those shocks were on it, ???? Thanks Lyndon
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

It is possible that the shocks from a 750GT came on the bike as both the Sport and GT had the same 305mm length shocks. Anyway, that is a very nice original bike. I had a '74 Sport for a year which started this lifetime addiction, so beware.
Ian
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

I agree with Ian, the shocks could well be original, remember the bikes got the parts from whatever was in the bin at the time.
I noted a few key bits missing, I hope they come with it- front caliper, carbs etc.

In my dealings with owners of old dukes, its not what the bike is worth to you, its always best to ask what it is worth to them, you may be surprised the rsponses you get (both ways up and down!)

Good luck, and if you can afford it, grab it. They dont make any more!
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Thinking back 33yrs. my 75 GT had Marzocchi shocks with plastic shrouds over the upper part of the spring. I remember seeing Moto Guzzi's with aluminum shrouds so I would believe the shocks are original equipment.
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

It's a shame the picture isn't closer.
Those look like the shocks that came on my 73 750GT.
I have to look away now because I'm drooling on my keyboard :lol:
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

They look like GT shocks to me. The Sport Marzochis were the same on at least the 73 and 74 models as far as I know - not sure about the Z stripe with different shock/frame arrangement. The 37 and 74 had no metal or plastic cover, rather a small rubber cover that extends about 10 mm over the top of the shock body.

Here's a photo of 73 model...

http://xs.to/xs.php?f=pa190221891.jpg&h=xs134&d=08512

And a 74 model...

http://xs.to/xs.php?f=picture_150337.jp ... 34&d=08512

Of course that doesn't mean they didn't come on the bike for reasons explained earlier, but I'm not aware of them doing so.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Better pic

Post by Gum »

baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey Gum,
That photo is better.
The giveaway is at the bottom of the shock.
There are three "bumps" in a triangular pattern around the shock at the bottom with a wire snap ring.
These are the same shocks that came on my 73 750GT.
I don't think there is any reason behind some parts on some bikes and not on others.
My 73 750GT has, what is supposed to be, a 750SS clutch cover with the extra webbing.
I guess the good thing about restoring a late 73 or 74 GT is that almost anything is correct.
Dean
Last edited by baddean on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

So

Post by Gum »

The bloke is correct, I had no reason to doubt him, so whats its worth ????
Thanks Gum
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey Gum,
I'll be the first to go out on the limb.
Here in the states a perfect ( or near perfect) example should/could fetch $25,000-$35,000 or more depending on who gets into a pissing match over it.
With the economy the way it is the prices here have dropped a little bit in the past few months.
If the one you are looking at has all of the original parts to go with it and the bike is fairly unmolested (looks good in the pics) and taking into consideration that you don't, in fact, know if it runs you are probably still looking at $18,000-$22,000.
But, then, what do I know.
I hope you get it,
Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Good

Post by Gum »

You are very good with your values, I had made an offer and been knocked back, and its in the upper range of what you have said. I think that would be fair for both parties, If our dollar goes up a little more, then it comes down in price and I may well buy it. Thanks for that, Gum
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

I like when a question like the shocks comes up because it makes us dig for info.
FWIW I haven't been able to find and actual photo of a 750S with those shocks on it (except yours) but, the Marzocchi plant was on strike sometime in 73-74 and Ducati had some difficulty sourcing shocks and forks from them so maybe some of the 750Sports got this shock.
Also this shock is the same as the one used on both the 750GT and the 750S it simply has the shroud removed and a blacked out spring for the S.
Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Gum, I doubt you will ever be sorry if you go ahead and buy this one. Rare opportunity indeed! Even if he doesn't have all the parts, they are easily sourced and relatively inexpensive compared to the bike as a whole. Jordan

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”