SmartCarb in 1976 900SS ?

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
ashleyf
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

SmartCarb in 1976 900SS ?

Post by ashleyf »

Looking at an upgrade for the Dellorto 40's . Anyone with experience in 'normal' useage . Just trying to simplify life going forward for day to day rideability.
1976 900 SS. Sydney OZ.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Re: SmartCarb in 1976 900SS ?

Post by Vince »

Plenty have fitted Mik and Kehan flat slides and even FI to Laverda's, the later will produce more power. The other 2 not so much but will improve MPG a lot. Give it a go but watch out foe the lynch mobs.
ashleyf
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ashleyf »

Been doing more research re starting issues etc. I have Sasche Ignition, carbs are fine , timing is being checked .

Ok. I understand that the appeal with Ducati's is their uniqueness and quirkiness. HOWEVER for every owner that I have spoken to lately who is happy with their 1- 4 kick start procedure there are an equal amount that park on a hill to ensure easy starting.
One uses a pit roller at home to start ...

Mine starts with from 2- 12 kicks when cold and 25 x 2 when warm , 'cept when it starts first kick when warm.!!

The unknown of whether I can have a coffee , or fill up at a petrol station without being the entertainment for the locals tends to put a pall on riding.

I suspect that there are quite a few like me out there looking/ hoping for a fix. To my (perhaps naive view) , if the spark is fine , my kicking technique is consistent , then it must be the carbies .

Will continue to research the SmartCarb , and perhaps twin head spark options.
1976 900 SS. Sydney OZ.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Maybe consider a Dino run, I hear D Moto at Clyde knows there Ducatis
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Ashley: A few things:

You mention "timing being checked" but you already have Sachse. When I installed a Sachse system last year, I used a chopstick through the plug holes to determine TDC and watch the little test LEDs turn on and off. It was easy, very repeatable and I only had to adjust the rotor trigger once to get it right. My bike almost always starts first kick cold or hot.

Just for reference, my start procedure from cold:
- Pull in the clutch lever and kick the starter until it breaks free. This usually happens on the second or third kick if the bike has been idle for a week or more. Once "broken", I let the clutch out and wind the motor to compression.
- Turn on the petcocks and tickle the carbs. I just push the tickler buttons down and count slowly to six. At around 7 or 8 the carbs will leak gas.
- Twist the throttle twice to squirt some juice into the motor. I do not let go of the throttle and allow the slider springs to whack the sliders down onto the throttle stop screws; I see this in a lot of videos. Not good; puts a big dent in the sliders.
- Turn on the ignition and give it one good kick.

When the motor is hot, I just twist the throttle once, wind to compression, turn on the ignition and give it a kick. I think people tend to flood the hot motors with tickling and too much accelerator pumping.

Dellortos are very simple carbs but are also very sensitive. I used to do my old 860GT and MHR carb tuning by ear and feel but last year I bought MotionPro vac gauges https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0411 and it's now so much easier to balance the carbs and tweak the idle screws. I also rebuilt my carbs last year; really easy job to do. The only slow part is cleaning everything.

One thing many forget is fuel filters; there's one inside the gas tank on each petcock and one on the side of each carb. Some add extra little in-line ones on the fuel lines. These get dirty and can slow the delivery of fuel; not usually a start-up issue.

Does the bike have new coils too or are the old ones used? It's rare, but coils can go bad resulting in a weak or inconsistent spark. I put Dynatek coils on my bike. Good luck.
Last edited by 81mhr900ss on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashleyf
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ashleyf »

Thks. That's encouraging. I suspect that my technique is as much to blame . The various components are being checked again here in Sydney this week.
The battery was showing 8.3 V so that didn't help.!

I appreciate the advice . You may be surprised at how many older riders I speak to that confess that their bike was just a pain most times. I have been told that since the engine is new , it will take time and starting procedure will change . Also told to get used to it and park on a hill.

I WILL persevere, partly because of the help and advice I have received from round the world. The bike is magic , much more capable than I will ever be and the challenge of things such as hard starting is better for my neural pathways than learning to play bridge. !

Thanks again for taking the time . I suspect that there are a few others that will also have read your words and gained something.
1976 900 SS. Sydney OZ.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Have you read this thread yet? Some pics of my installation and more comments on ignition set-up:
http://forum.bevelheaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5415
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

The starting procedure as 81mhr uses is about the best You can follow for nondestructive starting :-D
May I just add this : while slowly kicking the bike (after the clutch is freed) to compression, I'd listen to the front carb hissing. The rear is compressing, the front is sucking. When You kick, fresh mixture is going in the front.
Always worked better this way than the other way around and, standing on the RHS, easy to hear (even with EAR).

Practice makes perfect, never had any difficulties starting the bevel (nor the RT450, nor the Elefant)
Never managed to pushstart my '94 SS600 , just didn't get the correct feeling with that.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

One thing I should have noted regarding starting is not to rev the bike too much immediately after it starts; I will keep it at around 1500rpm-200rpm with a few mild blips to get the oil flowing and filling. It's particularly important on my bike as I have an oil cooler. Within 20 seconds, It's in gear and I'm off.
ashleyf
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ashleyf »

Thks all. Whilst I admit my technique needs to be sharpened, my main issue may turn out to be the Sasche, particularly since it is a beast to start whilst warm
Replacement Sasche being trialled soon.
Will post once tested.

Again, thks.
1976 900 SS. Sydney OZ.

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”