PHF32A Needle jet stuck in body

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Tinkerbell
Mariana

PHF32A Needle jet stuck in body

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hello everyone,
I am doing a refurb on my carburetters and in one unit , I can't seem to unscrew the AB265 jet via a reasonable amount of force. I don't want to snap it off ! Any suggestions? The carbs were very clean inside , but I suspect that jet has been in situ for 45 years and is reluctant to come out. The bike has 15000 miles--maybe I should leave it for later if the needle jet typically is OK.
Thank you ,
Kara
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: PHF32A Needle jet stuck in body

Post by Craig in France »

Tinkerbell wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:11 am I can't seem to unscrew the AB265 jet via a reasonable amount of force. I don't want to snap it off !
Hi (again :) ) Kara,

Honestly, rather than force it, I'd leave it. It's an atomiser which comes into operation after around ¼ of the slide movement. They don't regularly wear or nuttin'; so on this occasion, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Brass seized into aluminum is never going to be a walk in the park ...

Ciao

Craig
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Craig,
Thank you again. I figured if I snapped the jet in half, I would then be in a pickle. The mid performance seemed good on the ride home so hopefully it is not an issue. These carburetors make the Amals look like Tinkertoys.
Cheers,
Kara
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

if everything else has been removed from the carb, you can use some heat on the area where the atomizer is screwed into the body, specifically on that pillar like bit... Heat it up, drop it in cold water - repeat. IF you have an ultrasonic cleaner that will get it going as well. Lastly, I have taken a very large standard screwdriver and ground the edges down so it fits down into the threaded hole and also rounded off the corners so if the edges touch the threaded sides, it won;t ruin the threads. I ground the top back as well so I ended up with a wide enough blade to side firmly down into the slot on the atomizer and it was just about as wide. Now that is my tool of choice I use when doing this job. Lastly, at idle the needle will bounce against the atomizer so if the needle is worn and has a flat spot or is notched, I replace both needle and atomizer. They are made of the same material so if one is worn so is the other. I would replace both items on both carbs if one is worn or both...
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Same modus operandi as Steve

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”