Well, I guess that's progress, Mark ... in a way
So, is it still banging and popping on the front? Back to basics, then:
- Have you checked the valve clearances?
- Don't forget the plug cap and lead (Unscrew the cap, cut the lead back a tad, wipe it clean, re-fit the cap. Use a new one, by preference - and of the right resistance)
- Check the quality of the connection at the coil too
- And of course fit a new plug
- You could also try swapping coils
- Exhaust sealing properly?
I will freely admit that this kind of advice, especially when coming for a professional, always concerns me. Because if something is wrong, 'running it down the road for a few miles' it just as likely to make things worse as to magically resolve the problem. But each to their own ...
The advice from 900tlc about changing the ignition system is well-founded, however. All depends on how much time and money you have, and how frustrated you get chasing faults
@ 81mhr900ss: excellent advice as always. However, when Mark swapped the carbs over, the problem (banging and popping) stayed with the same cylinder (the front). Which suggests that the problem is not carb related.