1979 900SS Photo

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

1979 900SS Photo

Post by abmartin »

Not stock colours (it had been badly repainted when I bought it 24 years ago) but it is mostly untouched otherwise with the original seal still on the crankcase. It has a Verlicchi 2-into-1 exhaust system fitted which is stamped "Riservata Competizione" so it is a bit loud.

Its still my favourite bike to ride and is a real road-burner!

Bruce Martin
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
cshannon
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by cshannon »

Well, it sure is different but.... I really like it. A splash of white, perhaps on the side covers or the bottom half of the fairing just to set it off perhaps?

Thanks for posting. Keep the photos and the stories coming.

Chris
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for noticing the old girl. I thought I would post a few different views of the bike. I just put it through the local safety inspection hence the addition of flashers. It probably wasn't necessary to do this as the inspector was so amazed by it that he forgot to check it over.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

900ss

Post by nottonight68 »

man -you need to aquaint youself with the colour silver----now
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

man -you need to aquaint youself with the colour silver----now

Thats hilarious! :) I believe it was originally a black and gold bike although I personally never liked that colour combination. It is just too reminiscent of '70s era Capris, Lotuses and Nortons. I remember that when I stripped off the crudely-applied paint that the original owner put on, one of the side covers was originally silver.

I don't believe that any silver and blue bikes ever came with Speedline wheels though.
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

only jokin! silver-speedlines -i think not. yea gold /black was very ordinary.
what was the inspiration for the the green& red ,im taking a second look at that and although not convinced am warming to the idea of green
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

ps . my brother used to live in montana & RIDE BIKES, dont know how you do it (im in australia).i think i can guess the answer to this question :lol:
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Its been almost 25 years since I repainted it but I suppose I was trying to do an Italian flag theme but in a more classic style than a Hailwood.

I used to live in western Canada and took the Duke down to Montana on several occasions. Great roads there and wonderful scenery. Here in Nova Scotia the roads are rough and speed limits are low. I often don't even get it into fifth gear and of course the reputedly fragile Speedlines are a concern.

I have collected everything to build up spoked wheels but a Borrani wm-4 rear rim so I'm planning on switch over if and when I find one. I am even considering going to smaller carbs to give the motor a little more mid-range flexibility.

There's always something to spend money on with these bikes!
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

900ss

Post by nottonight68 »

if you repainted it 25 yrs ago you must have owned it as long (or close to) as ive had my 76ss -bought it new in 76. im now rebuilding it back to concourse original.your dead right -theres always money to be spent.maybe you should just get a reproduction rim given the other non stock parts your running.
ps spring (season) has just arrived here -puttin on the shorts,t-shirt& thongs and stokin up the barbie :shock:
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

sorry 77 not 76

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”