Unridden Since 1985

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.

Put It On EBay for Parts?

Park it in the Living Room?
8%
Squeeze it into a Cube?
No votes
Trade it for a 944 Turbo?
No votes
Ride it Unrestored and Wait for Things to Fail?
33%
Restore it!
58%

Total votes: 12

FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Unridden Since 1985

Post by FastFashn »

So, what would you say if you were in a company meeting, said you loved Ducatis and hoped to buy one some day, and the guy sitting next to you said, hey, I've got one I'll give you?

Ummm...

Say, "Yes!"

Well, that really happened to me. I picked the bike up two weeks ago. It has been stored in the proverbial barn since 1985, is covered with dust, but is a real goddess-blessed red Ducati 900 Darmah.

This should be fun!

The pix are up here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angrytoyro ... 064327490/

-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
FabDuc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Unridden since 1985

Post by FabDuc »

Hey lucky Man!

He GAVE it to you??!!
Well, congratulations with this hidden treasure!
Try to get as much info of the bike as you can get. Be aware of the corroding Campagnolos, they can be dangerous...
So, what are you going to do with it?
( :-D Ride 'm, don't hide 'm :cry: )
Be careful with her, treat her nicely!!

Regards,

an other red Darmah (2!) owner
Bend over and smell my Conti vapour!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

don;t touch the paint. get her running and enjoy her. The bike is a treasure........ whatever you do do NOT part it out.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by FastFashn »

BevHevSteve wrote:don;t touch the paint. get her running and enjoy her. The bike is a treasure........ whatever you do do NOT part it out.
Ok, but I have to know why... I work best with things that have a history (I'm a big history buff). I know Porsche. I know about Leica, and Contax. I know something about old houses.

Why are these Bevels special?

They seem to be complex, finicky, they have a valve system I know little about, and I'll have to do something with the wheels before I can ride her. I'm also going to have to find a mechanic herebousts, because I don't have the tools to do all the work myself.

1) Carbs need rebuilding
2) One bevel tube is rusty
3) Wheels may be bad (?)
4) Seat needs recovering (that's minor)
5) Tires are bad
6) Half a tank of twenty two year old gas is in the tank (lol)

Tell me why I should start a new obsession. :-) I plan on starting work on the bike in late August, and I have to have her parts in the basement before winter, because I don't want the bike to winter in the old garage.
-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Lucky, Lucky, Lucky!! The carbs are easy.Just lots of carb cleaner and a gasket set.The worst part will be getting the brown crust out of the float bowls. Drain the tank, if not too rusty you can use a couple of handfuls of nuts bolts etc. with hot water and detergent. and agitate until your arms fall off. The bevel tube on the front cyl. is easy, carb, pipe, four bolts and yank. Get a Haynes manual and read all about it. The wheels are probably ok if the garage was fairly dry its doubtful they have corroded pull the tires off and look for white fuzz and pitting. Cables should be replaced, and the calipers and master cyl.s will likely need rebuilding.If this is all too daunting i'll be happy to buy it from you.
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by FastFashn »

wdietz186 wrote:Lucky, Lucky, Lucky!! The carbs are easy.Just lots of carb cleaner and a gasket set.The worst part will be getting the brown crust out of the float bowls. Drain the tank, if not too rusty you can use a couple of handfuls of nuts bolts etc. with hot water and detergent. and agitate until your arms fall off. The bevel tube on the front cyl. is easy, carb, pipe, four bolts and yank. Get a Haynes manual and read all about it. The wheels are probably ok if the garage was fairly dry its doubtful they have corroded pull the tires off and look for white fuzz and pitting. Cables should be replaced, and the calipers and master cyl.s will likely need rebuilding.If this is all too daunting i'll be happy to buy it from you.
That doesn't sound too awfully awful, and I've used Haynes manuals quite a bit. Ya, the garage was very dry, not temperature controlled, but dry. I'll have to see what the inside of the wheels looks like when the tires come off.

It is daunting, yes. I'm used to road bikes (Klein/Trek/Bianchi with pedals) and such, so if I need to pull a wheel off I just flip the bike over on the handlebars. 400#s of dead weight scares me a little. ;-) I've had lots of cars, but never a bike, and a classic bike at that, before. I don't want to foul it up.

I'm going to have to do some research on old Ducatis, find out more about their history.
-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

New Blog

Post by FastFashn »

-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

BevHevSteve wrote:don;t touch the paint. get her running and enjoy her. The bike is a treasure........ whatever you do do NOT part it out.
I'd agree with that. That thing's no where near the "part it out" category.

Cripes, the stored in a barn bike I bought looked like this:

and now looks like this:

...so I've got no sympathy for someone trying to get that 900 back on the road! A long weekend and you're set to jet. ;)
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by FastFashn »

DesmoDog wrote:
I'd agree with that. That thing's no where near the "part it out" category.

Cripes, the stored in a barn bike I bought looked like this:

and now looks like this:

...so I've got no sympathy for someone trying to get that 900 back on the road! A long weekend and you're set to jet. ;)
:-) I'm looking forward to a nice winter's projects. I could, I really suspect, fire the bike up now and go for a ride. However, I am, unfortunately, a perfectionist (plus I have two houses to get ready for winter). We'll see where we are next spring. No hurry, gotta do this right.
-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

As you can tell by looking at the pictures above, the magnesium Campagnolo wheels are already corroded on the outside, the inside will be worse for sure!
Don't drive them anymore, they are very dangerous, and can brake without warning....(they have the internal strength of old bread).
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Campy Wheels

Post by FastFashn »

Peter Mille wrote:As you can tell by looking at the pictures above, the magnesium Campagnolo wheels are already corroded on the outside, the inside will be worse for sure!
Don't drive them anymore, they are very dangerous, and can brake without warning....(they have the internal strength of old bread).
Which pictures?

I think I'll have mine magnafluxed before I make any determination as to problems.
-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
Peter Mille

Re: Campy Wheels

Post by Peter Mille »

FastFashn wrote:
Peter Mille wrote:As you can tell by looking at the pictures above, the magnesium Campagnolo wheels are already corroded on the outside, the inside will be worse for sure!
Which pictures?

I think I'll have mine magnafluxed before I make any determination as to problems.
The first post, second picture.
You can see clearly the white oxidation ( small pickles) on the outside, wich means ( much) more trouble inside the wheel.
Cast magnesum wheels are safe for about 15 years, after that, they become unsafe, no matter how many times you have them magnafluxed or whatever... as I said before they WILL brake without any warning...so you decide to drive them or not...!!!!
Osred
Diana

Post by Osred »

Me thinks Mr. Mille is trying to harvest all of our five-spoke Campy mags for his personal collection! Just pokin' fun, Peter. :twisted:
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

;)
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Campy Wheels

Post by FastFashn »

Peter Mille wrote:
FastFashn wrote:
Which pictures?

The first post, second picture.
You can see clearly the white oxidation ( small pickles) on the outside, wich means ( much) more trouble inside the wheel.
Cast magnesum wheels are safe for about 15 years, after that, they become unsafe, no matter how many times you have them magnafluxed or whatever... as I said before they WILL brake without any warning...so you decide to drive them or not...!!!!
Well, we'll see. If you know of anyone who makes aluminum or mag knock offs of these, let me know. Otherwise I'll make a judgement once I have the wheels off this winter. We DO have a lot of racing garages here in Indy, and places that do mag casting repairs as well, so I'm not going to give up on them before there is more info.
-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”