My 1980 Ducati Darmah 900SS

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
Tigerboy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

My 1980 Ducati Darmah 900SS

Post by Tigerboy »

Fellow Ducatisti,

Here's my 1980 Ducati Darmah SSD:

This bike has been stored in a garage since 1993, when I got it. It starts up but runs rough and only holds an idle somewhat. The bike has only 4915 original miles. The odd thing about this bike is the speedometer, which only goes up to 80 mph. It should go faster than that, but back in 1980 there was an energy crisis and speedlimits nationwide were 55. Obviously they weren't familar with gas prices where they now stand.

The mufflers are Silentium (couldn't the Italians think of a better name?) with baffles that are held in place with hex bolts. Do people run these bikes with the baffles out? On the track, perhaps?

I know the Contis (and 40mm Carb upgrades) are much more sought after, but for street riding I probably don't need them.

I cleaned up all the carb parts thoroughly with standard degreaser in an ultrasonic bath. I set the carb settings (throttle stop and mixture screws) to 1 ½ turns out. Off hand I see nothing else wrong, though perhaps I should invest in a carb rebuilt kit:

I know the recommended plugs are NGK, right now the plugs are Bosch. I will get the B6HS or B5HS they recommend. The B6 will do, but the B5 is a hotter plug.

The left side (back cylinder) seems to be hardly running at all. It barely gets warm compared to the front cylinder, so I am effectively running on one cylinder.

I had a 1978 Darmah that had this problem and it turns out the problem was the camshaft stuck in backwards so it was firing on the exhaust rather than the compression stroke. I sure hope I don't have that problem as it will be a lot of extra work to solve this.

I'm hoping to have this bike ready for the Vintage Days of Mid Ohio at the end of July.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Nice bike!
The NGK plugs are not factory recommended, Bosch is....!!!
With Conti's (or look-a-likes), the bike not only sounds better, but looks better as well!!
Tigerboy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Tigerboy »

Peter Mille wrote:Nice bike!
The NGK plugs are not factory recommended, Bosch is....!!!
With Conti's (or look-a-likes), the bike not only sounds better, but looks better as well!!
Thanks for the tip, I will get Bosch plugs.

If I got Contis, don't you have to upgrade to the Dell' Orto PHM 40mm Carbs?
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

No, perhaps rejetting/readjusting the excisting carbs!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

phf 36 carbies will slip right on and won;t require any mods except changing out the throttle cables. Your bike will be much better that the original 32s or compared to 40s which are good for high RPM only with built motors. I stock the PHF 36 carbs.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”