860GT Rear Wheel Drum Brake Spacer Quest for Clarification

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

Re: 860GT Rear Wheel Drum Brake Spacer Quest for Clarification

Post by rjk40 »

Hi Craig,

The threaded part of the axle is indeed a slightly smaller diameter than the unthreaded length.

The threaded parts are only about an inch long, and just protrude out of the swingarm to provide enough threads to nicely contain the large nut and washer on each side.

The small bore on the spacer does fit nicely over the unthreaded part of the axle.

I am not quite clear on your comment of the spacer counterbore fitting over the smaller, threaded part of the axle. If my surmising is correct, the spacer's larger bore sits against the face of the inner race of the sprocket carrier bearing. Thus, the smaller bore will rest against the swingarm inner face, and will be well inside the threaded part of the axle. After further review, I do not see any other way to keep the sprocket carrier bearing from rubbing on the inside face of the swingarm.

At present, I am going to go (unless I learn otherwise...) with the train of thought above; nothing else seems to make sense.

Again, I do appreciate your info; you have saved my sorry bacon many times.

Regards,
Richard
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

rjk40 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am The small bore on the spacer does fit nicely over the unthreaded part of the axle.
Ok, then it would appear that it doesn't do what I thought it might. Sketch below as to how I thought it might work ...
Attachments
860 rear wheel 7.jpg
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the sketch.

In reality, even the small hole in the spacer slides nicely over the axle's larger, unthreaded part, so the spacer will slide right up the axle against the sprocket carrier's inner race. whilst the other face would rest against the swingarm face. The difference in axle thickness between the threaded and unthreaded parts is not very much.
Regards,
Richard
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Yup, got it Richard. That leaves me with no idea why it's counter-bored ... :~
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Hi Craig,