860GT drum brake rear wheel spoke question

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

860GT drum brake rear wheel spoke question

Post by rjk40 »

The rear wheel has 20 of each of two slightly different spokes: 20 at a bend angle of 85 degrees, and 20 at a bend angle of 90 degrees.
This is a subtle difference, and I am trying to figure out which angle applies to which side of the wheel (for explanation purposes, say either "sprocket side" or non-sprocket side").

Perhaps when I get my new rims from Buchanan, the nipple holes will help answer the question, but the sublety in the angle difference makes me want to ask anyway.

I have tried mounting a couple of the old spokes in the wheel hub both ways, but without rims the results are (to my old eyes and brain...) inclusive.

Surely one of you gurus have seen/ done this, and will kindly offer an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Prospero ano y Felicidad,
or,
Felice Anno Nuovo in Bologna

Richard
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Re: 860GT drum brake rear wheel spoke question

Post by Vince »

Maybe its one spoke from the inside and the next from the outside of the lip on the hub, that helps to allow them to cross and not touch each other, been going through this on my Laverda. Hope your rim was drill correctly, who knew how critical this is. No idea if this helps or is correct for your application.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Sorry Vince,

When you say inside or outside, it does not register; as I said in my original post, I used "spoke side" or "non-spoke side" with the hope of clarification.
I will continue to seek clarification, and I thank you for your interest.
Best Regards,
Richard
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Ok on both sides of the hub is a rib that has a hole for the spoke,the spoke can come out on either side of this hole.So they should alternatly go either side. That has half the spokes on each side of the wheel differat bends and lenths. So looking at the wheel from the side, its nippel end then spoke then nipple end. I had a look on google at images of Ducato bevel spoked wheels and thats what I saw.Just like this pic.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spoked+ ... CyE-3t5WKM:
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Here is a better pic, I think each differant spoke used used alternatively on both sides of the wheel if I understand it, and maybe I dont.
http://www.webgrafex.com/roundcase/
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Ahh; now I get it. That pic helps a bunch.

I finally see what you mean about the inside/outside alternation of the spokes.

I'll play around with my spokes on the hub, and try to see where 85 degrees works better than 90 degrees; that's still the part I am seeking the answer for.

Thanks kindly, Vince. That pic goes a long way toward a solution, and I appreciate your info.

Regards,
Richard
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

The huge rear twin leader drum wheel on my Laverda was respoked and it was done all inner, the young bloke said its fine. 6 months later when I was told I had a wobble I took the wheel off to discover 12 broken spokes. I think having the spokes pass each other in the same line and touch and bend was the reason why that happened. I think alternating spokes is very important, Live and learn.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Good point.

Thinking back, I have never seen spokes touching, even on classic cars with spoked wheels. Hopefully the young bloke learned the error of his ways.
Too bad that it had to be at your expense.

Regards,
Richard
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Hi again Vince,

As usual, I had a brain fade when I was saying" spoke side" and "non-spoke side"; a correctly functional brain would have said "sprocket side" and "non-sprocket side".

Thanks again for enlightening me on the spoke insertion alternating pattern per your pic. That helped a lot.
I will hope that I can figure out which angle of spokes go in each part of the alternating pattern; if I do it properly, the spokes should point directly toward the center of the nipples. If I put them in wrong, they would likely point a bit away from the center of the nipples.

If you see a hole in my logic, please feel free to correct me.

Prospero Anno Nuevo.

Richard
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I suspect the 85 deg. angle spokes enter the holes from the inside [between the flanges] so they don't rub the side of the flange when they are in position. The 90's probably should enter the flange from the outside as the pull to the rim is straighter. I did re lace one once, about 35 yrs. ago so my recollection is fuzzy.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Every tidbit of info helps. I shall dig into that.

Thanks kindly.

Regards,
Richard

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”