860GT rear wheel hub mystery piece

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

860GT rear wheel hub mystery piece

Post by rjk40 »

I know that I am likely missing a previous post, but have looked through the ones here, and do not see a match for my question:

Sitting in between the bearings in the wheel hub (not the sprocket hub...) is the piece shown in the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124760992 ... ed-public/

It is indicated in the Haynes manual, but I do not see it in my parts manual.
Its ends are a close fit to the sides of the bearings, but I do not see its purpose, except to cause either bearing to share side forces (????).
It had quite a bit of grease, but was not packed in it; likely offthrow from the bearings.(?)
Neither end of it shows any wear pattern, adding to the mystery.
Additionally, the ring around it at about 1/3 of the way from its closest end is a mystery to me, as to what it does.
I shall put it back after installing the first new bearing, but will be left with a question and no answer.

Craig? Bill? Anyone? Comments?

Again, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Richard
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: 860GT rear wheel hub mystery piece

Post by ducadini »

Just a distancepiece between the bearings.
Grease to keep it relative in place, as is the ring.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Hi Duca,

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your explanation as to the grease and the ring.
Can you please clarify for this old man?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Richard
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Richard: the Haynes Manual diagram calls it a "distance piece" and on page 117 of the Haynes manual it is clearly shown in fig 9:2d, where it is called "spacer". It's simply a spacer between the bearings.

The spares drawing on line call it "BUSH 17,3X25,0X34,6, PART NR 079580480" (https://www.ducaticlassics.com/parts/86 ... all/wheels). The picture of the bushing does not show the ring.

I think the other post just means when putting it back together make sure it's greased to lube it in service and to stop it falling out when reassembling.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”